RE: [carfree_cities] Re: advertisements coming to metro tunnels

  • Sean Brooks
    Message 1 of 12 , May 18, 2006
      I somewhat disagree. 'Yellow Pages' type ads could be very useful to a
      rider who is unfamiliar with his destination neighborhood, and looking for a
      place to eat, or buy a shirt-button, or whatever he needs at that moment.
      It's not like he can very well drive around the block several times looking
      for a shop.

      Audio ads should be right out.

      Perhaps ads could be limited to advertisers with an actual physical presence
      within 400m of a transit stop, or something to that affect.

      However, I do agree that the system shouldn't be dependent on ads for
      operating revenue. The Washington, DC Metro has considered trying to levy a
      tax on land values near stations - the presence of a Metro stop makes land
      much more valuable than land not served by a metro station - it sort of
      closes the economic loop.

      It would be even nicer, if, realizing that the marginal cost of an
      additional rider is infinitesimal compared to the existing costs of capital
      and regular train service, fares were abandoned altogether in favor of
      taxing the increase in (land) property due to the presence of the system in
      the first place.

      I believe someone (JHC?) compared it to tenants in a highrise paying for
      elevator service.

      Sean
    • Todd Edelman
      Message 2 of 12 , May 18, 2006
        John Bredin wrote:
        ... and public transit operators
        > should NOT advertise their direct competition!

        If one enters from and to locations and departure time etc. on the Czech
        Railways website, the next link is the IDOS website, which is a
        public-private partnership where ads from various companies fill the
        screen as you get your train journey details. Some ads are from bus
        companies which might have something competing with the train ride you are
        looking at. The ideas with IDOS is that it is some kind of full choice
        thing with combinations possible of bus, bus + train, just train, etc.
        Czech Railways is as far as I know the only European operator that does
        their journey-finding stuff this way. It is really annoying, especially
        with a slow computer. I actually hate it.

        At the same time, both Prague and Brno (Czechias 2nd biggest city) PT
        operators (and Prague PT is joint-stock company with 100%shares owned by
        the city) offer services for drivers and cars, including drivers training!

        I imagine there are similar things in other Central and European Union
        countries.

        So, the "competition" argument will not work in many places.

        - T

        Todd Edelman
        International Coordinator
        On the Train Towards the Future!