Re: Joy Shattering Plank Cities in Venice

  • Sam Hodgkinson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2000
      It seems my lengthy reply to your previous posting has been lost
      through the ether, but anyway, the gist of my reply then was that we
      mustn't lose our sense of scale.
      A city of boxes, towers and expansive empty public squares was okay
      for the 50s and 60s, but it's abit inorganic, tired and monstrous.

      Cities of the mind can be perfect, efficient and manageable in every
      sense, but the real construct needs to be useable and liveable.
      I would hate to live in a high-density legoland.

      I just don't think you should throw the proverbial baby out with the
      bathwater.

      I'm only 5 years older than you in your age description.
      What a difference you will find a year makes in dealing with town
      planning and urban design issues!
      Wouldn't it make more sense to tackle the issues at ground level?
      (excuse my punning)

      Come to Sydney to witness the development paradigm here. Perhaps you
      won't feel California's urban areas are the most autocentric and
      shockingly planned places in the world after all.

      Keep the discussion going!

      Cheers,

      Sam.