Re: Speed of Change - Re: [carfree_cities] Fuel from coal -

  • Gregorio Villacorta Alegria
    Message 1 of 8 , May 14 4:02 PM
      Hallo Tod

      I have read your messages about Coal , chaos in the future and engine jet costs to use in micro gas.

      I would like to know

      How are oriented the transport ? to what kind of fuel or energy ?

      Gas ? , solar power ?

      Our actual systems of transport in developing countries are based in petroleum and gas , but how time will be able this fuel ?

      there are some pronostics ?

      Sorry my bad english.

      I am from Peru.

      Regards

      Gregorio

      Todd Edelman <edelman@...> escribió:
      > It's amazing how fast humans can adapt to change when they have to.
      YES

      > I preface everything by mentioning that I wholeheartedly agree with Joel,
      > coal is the worst form of energy available to us. I'd rather we didn't
      > use
      > it. I'm almost positive we will, if only because the US has a lot of it.
      YES

      > Over the course of two years in the early 40's, a country that lost their
      > supply of oil converted largely to liquid fuel from coal via the
      > Fischer-Tropsh process. They did this while being bombed nightly.
      > Fortunately for the rest of us, this experience wasn't successful for the
      > Nazis.

      WELL, this synfuel was beaten by oil + carbo-energy (Soviet and other
      soldiers), hydroelectric power (US airplanes) and finally a crude version
      of nuclear power.

      ---

      > Over the course of 15 years, the world built several hundred nuclear
      > plants,
      > at a time when coal was incredibly cheap.
      >
      > How fast did the telegraph spread around the world?
      >
      > How fast did semiconductors 'take over the world'?

      KEEP in mind that VERY many people in the world dont have communications
      or computer equipment.

      I see another disadvantage to centralised coal-based fuel: Just like many
      other fuels, it wont be available to people in the developing world.

      People in oil-rich Nigeria are already putting holes into pipelines and
      "stealing" fuel, at extreme risk to their own lives.

      Something like half the people in the world still use solid fuel for
      cooking. Inside homes this is dangerous.

      Fuel for public transport or cars etc is not even an issue.

      I wonder how many micro biogas reactors or solar panels you can buy for
      the price of one jet engine?