Re: [carfree_cities] compiling a guide, need: local economy/ infrastructure begets use/ best practices

  • markus-heller@gmx.de
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8, 2006
      Hi Justin,
      don`t know wether it fits to your guidebook, but there are a few carfree
      tourist destination which are very good with providing the whole transport
      line: access by train, transfer to hotel, local public transport, bike
      rental etc. The deciseve criteria is to have a "closed travelling chain" in
      a comfortable way for tourists without car.

      Best exampels are the Switzerland`s villages connected in www.gast.org, and
      in Germany I would say it`s the carfree island Hiddensee (www.hiddensee.de)
      in the Baltic Sea (In Hiddensee the Hotel staff takes you from your ship,
      they transfer you with your luggage by horse carriage or bike-trailer to the
      hotel etc), but the other carfree islands in the North Sea provide a very
      good transport service, too.

      Near Istanbul are those carfree Princess Islands, maybe they are a good
      example for the "closed travelling chain" as well (Kevser/TCFC-V knows the
      details)

      cheers from Berlin,
      Markus
      (I hope you understood what I mean, if not, call me, it`s easier by phone)
      www.autofrei-wohnen.de/contact.html

      Message 2 of 5 , May 8, 2006
        Justin,

        Ja, it is great the great Markus mentions some tourist stuff!

        I would also mention the cities in Holland, Germany and Austria which have
        Tempo 30 zones on many or most of their streets. Since you know German I
        would suggest look at the VCD (Verkehrsclubdeutschland) website, or
        website of Municipality (City-State?) of Berlin, and I think it is Graz
        that is best example from Austria.

        Related to that, it is my understanding that in car vs. pedestrians
        collision in zebra crossings in Holland and possibly UK (?) and others (?)
        - and I think with car vs. bike collisions - it is almost always
        automatically the fault of the car driver.

        Finally, I think it will be a big leap for lots of people just to turn
        away from the idea of individually-owned and operated cars, so check out
        the Carsharing entry in Wikipedia, but PLEASE remind people that
        carsharing is not a solution, just a bit of harm reduction.

        So... just some more leads. I dont have exact info.

        Good luck with your publication and make sure you keep them dry on the
        ride... and if you send photo of you handing one to some Eastern European
        mafia guy in a dark grey Audi I will buy you a bottle of champagne.

        > Hi Justin,
        > don`t know wether it fits to your guidebook, but there are a few carfree
        > tourist destination which are very good with providing the whole transport
        > line: access by train, transfer to hotel, local public transport, bike
        > rental etc. The deciseve criteria is to have a "closed travelling chain"
        > in
        > a comfortable way for tourists without car.

        Todd Edelman
        International Coordinator
        On the Train Towards the Future!

        Green Idea Factory
        Laubova 5
        CZ-13000 Praha 3

        ++420 605 915 970

        edelman@...
        http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

        Green Idea Factory,
        a member of World Carfree Network
      • Sean Brooks
        Message 3 of 5 , May 8, 2006
          From the US Federal Highway Administration (strange, huh?), a best practices
          guide for designing sidewalks for pedestrian use and accessibility:
          http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/sidewalk2/index.htm