compiling a guide, need: local economy/ infrastructure begets use/ best practices

  • Justin Hyatt
    Message 1 of 5 , May 7, 2006
      Hello,

      I am in the final stages of compiling/editing a short guidebook for
      dissemination in several languages in South-Eastern Europe, Turkey and
      Georgia. The guide covers the basics, ranging from things like
      sustainable transportation to city spaces and reclaiming streets, and
      carfree ideas are presented as well.

      I am missing a few items and I would also like to do a small fact
      check on some things, that is the aim of this email.

      -strength of local economy in non auto-centric society. i am looking
      for more information on, possibly a good, convincing text explaining
      how a local economy can thrive, without an emphasis on high-speed
      mobility and cars. in a sense, something to combat the old type of
      thinking of the auto industry being important for economic
      development, etc.

      -infrastructure begetting use: i would like to describe how if you
      offer high-quality sustainable transport options, people will be happy
      to use them, but if you build huge roads, it is just inviting the
      reliance on car use. a short text or excerpt from somewhere would do.
      (given opposite extremes of Los Angeles and Venice)

      a few random things that i still need some clarity/extra sources on:

      -the statement of a car producing more pollution in its manufacture
      than in its whole lifetime of driving. can this be corroberated? would
      not telling this to someone just make them rationalize "well in that
      case, i might as well drive it, since it has already done the majority
      of its polluting"?

      -good evidence of auto exhaust pollution causally linked to asthma, dioxin

      -paris major street that was recently traffic-calmed. does anyone have
      english language info on that?

      best practices, case examples: i would like to highlight a few places
      that have done something extraordinary or are just at the top of the
      list in some category. given the list below, does it look like i am
      missing out on something really important? (the list is obviously far
      from comprehensive)

      -Groningen: modal share of bikes
      -Bogotá: BRT, carfree sundays
      -Curitiba: BRT, etc
      -Venice: carfree
      -Freiburg: Vauban carfree district
      -Fes: carfree
      -Paris: major traffic calming in center in future?
      -Copenhagen: bike lending system
      -Belgium: buspass in exchange for turning in car registration
      -Salzburg: advanced bike system
      -Seoul: six lane highway converted to public space, river, foot paths, etc
      -Fresno: sprawl restriction program

      thank you in advance for any help you can give. we are in a quite late
      stage at the moment, so i will be quite happy to have some of these
      answered as soon as possible.

      Regards,

      Justin hyatt
      --
      Hungarian Young Greens - Zöld Fiatalok
      Szondi u. 54
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 2006
        Justin,
        Maybe you've already read it, but the 180-page Carfree Development book from Lloyd Wright (downloadable from www.sutp.org/download ) is a good resource.
        Best regards,
        Carlos.

      • markus-heller@gmx.de
        Message 3 of 5 , May 8, 2006
          Hi Justin,
          don`t know wether it fits to your guidebook, but there are a few carfree
          tourist destination which are very good with providing the whole transport
          line: access by train, transfer to hotel, local public transport, bike
          rental etc. The deciseve criteria is to have a "closed travelling chain" in
          a comfortable way for tourists without car.

          Best exampels are the Switzerland`s villages connected in www.gast.org, and
          in Germany I would say it`s the carfree island Hiddensee (www.hiddensee.de)
          in the Baltic Sea (In Hiddensee the Hotel staff takes you from your ship,
          they transfer you with your luggage by horse carriage or bike-trailer to the
          hotel etc), but the other carfree islands in the North Sea provide a very
          good transport service, too.

          Near Istanbul are those carfree Princess Islands, maybe they are a good
          example for the "closed travelling chain" as well (Kevser/TCFC-V knows the
          details)

          cheers from Berlin,
          Markus
          (I hope you understood what I mean, if not, call me, it`s easier by phone)
          www.autofrei-wohnen.de/contact.html

          Message 4 of 5 , May 8, 2006
            Justin,

            Ja, it is great the great Markus mentions some tourist stuff!

            I would also mention the cities in Holland, Germany and Austria which have
            Tempo 30 zones on many or most of their streets. Since you know German I
            would suggest look at the VCD (Verkehrsclubdeutschland) website, or
            website of Municipality (City-State?) of Berlin, and I think it is Graz
            that is best example from Austria.

            Related to that, it is my understanding that in car vs. pedestrians
            collision in zebra crossings in Holland and possibly UK (?) and others (?)
            - and I think with car vs. bike collisions - it is almost always
            automatically the fault of the car driver.

            Finally, I think it will be a big leap for lots of people just to turn
            away from the idea of individually-owned and operated cars, so check out
            the Carsharing entry in Wikipedia, but PLEASE remind people that
            carsharing is not a solution, just a bit of harm reduction.

            So... just some more leads. I dont have exact info.

            Good luck with your publication and make sure you keep them dry on the
            ride... and if you send photo of you handing one to some Eastern European
            mafia guy in a dark grey Audi I will buy you a bottle of champagne.

            > Hi Justin,
            > don`t know wether it fits to your guidebook, but there are a few carfree
            > tourist destination which are very good with providing the whole transport
            > line: access by train, transfer to hotel, local public transport, bike
            > rental etc. The deciseve criteria is to have a "closed travelling chain"
            > in
            > a comfortable way for tourists without car.

            Todd Edelman
            International Coordinator
            On the Train Towards the Future!

            Green Idea Factory
            Laubova 5
            CZ-13000 Praha 3

            ++420 605 915 970

            edelman@...
            http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

            Green Idea Factory,
            a member of World Carfree Network
          • Sean Brooks
            Message 5 of 5 , May 8, 2006
              From the US Federal Highway Administration (strange, huh?), a best practices
              guide for designing sidewalks for pedestrian use and accessibility:
              http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/sidewalk2/index.htm