RE: [carfree_cities] My incredible joy-reponse

  • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2000
      > Congestion is not necessarily a bad thing (if it's composed of people
      > instead of cars).
      Yes. I've nothing against congestion. I don't feel stressed if I hit the
      thigh of the person in front of me with my knee, or if I get hit in a
      similar way on a crowded street. Those incidents are just one more way to
      open social contacts with people, assuming of course they are not done on
      purpose. As long as inhuman cars are out, that's Okay.

      > I think people want to be grounded (literally). Does anyone
      > really want to
      > live in the center of a three-dimensional labyrinth? I like
      > to walk on the
      > earth.
      I don't mind living in a 3-D setup, as long as I can walk freely on the
      Earth ground level (outdoors). I'm accustomed to high buildings and
      underground setup in Montreal, but the outdoor space is somewhat monopolised
      by cars, and we must correct that, even in cities where people can avoid
      cars by going in a 3-D setup. Let's expand people choice range and restrict
      car choice range.

      I agree with you that nothing replaces totally the natural outdoor space
      even under the rain or in cold weather. In fact I much prefer walking in a
      rainy carfree city than in a sunny car-centric city.

      Louis-Luc