A question re Colombia

  • Andie Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2 3:22 PM
      Hi All

      Not quite a carfree question, but thought someone here might know ...
      Perhaps I am confusing it with Carfree Day, but I seem to remember reading
      something to the effect of, in Bogata, on one day a year, only women are
      allowed on the streets. Am I hallucinating? Anyone know anything about this?

      Thanks
      Andie
    • Carlos F. Pardo SUTP
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2 7:04 PM
        Yes, Antanas Mockus (mayor 1995-1998 and 2001-2004) was the one who
        implemented the "no-men's day", which was a Thursday in March where men
        weren't allowed to go on the streets... actually, the only enforcement was
        that, if a man wanted to go out that night, you should sign a paper "giving
        yourself permission" to go out.

        The interesting thing about that day was that crime rates and violence
        dropped impressively, also deaths. The following Thursday, it was "no
        women's day", and men were the ones who were supposed to go out on their
        own. The funny thing was that men wouldn't go out on their own, and this day
        was a typical Thursday. It makes you think a lot. There must be some stats
        buried somewhere, but I'm not in Bogotá right now to dig them up.

        I'm thinking now why I'm answering this in a carfree list, but I sure
        enjoyed the day (I actually knew my wife on one of these no-men days, but in
        the afternoon).

        Best regards,

        Carlos F. Pardo