Re: [carfree_cities] US Light Rail Booms

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2006
      > I'm taking the liberty of combining threads here, partly in answer to
      > "citizen cop" 's misgivings over an earlier bike-centred thread... ;-)

      Hi,

      A bike-thread woven into the carfree fabric is the goal, ja? And lightrail
      is certainly just as important a piece of the garment. The discussion was
      just becoming one about bikes, not putting it into the larger context (I
      love bikes, am about to get on mine now) so yes I was wrong to just post
      the light-rail thing without asking questions such as, e.g., how we can
      get this interest to go beyond park+ride, etc.

      and your url was missing...

      Todd Edelman
      International Coordinator
      On the Train Towards the Future!

      Green Idea Factory
      Laubova 5
      CZ-13000 Praha 3

      ++420 605 915 970

      edelman@...
      http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

      Green Idea Factory,
      a member of World Carfree Network
    • Christopher Miller
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2006
        On May 2, 2006, at 10:34 AM, Todd Edelman wrote:

        >> I'm taking the liberty of combining threads here, partly in answer to
        >> "citizen cop" 's misgivings over an earlier bike-centred
        >> thread... ;-)
        >
        > A bike-thread woven into the carfree fabric is the goal, ja?

        ...wohl... !

        > And lightrail
        > is certainly just as important a piece of the garment. The
        > discussion was
        > just becoming one about bikes, not putting it into the larger
        > context (I
        > love bikes, am about to get on mine now) so yes I was wrong to just
        > post
        > the light-rail thing without asking questions such as, e.g., how we
        > can
        > get this interest to go beyond park+ride, etc.

        I agree with you completely ,Todd: no criticisms were meant, nor any
        quibbles with your point (and note the good-humoured wink at the end
        of my 2 cents worth...)

        > and your url was missing...

        Thanks for pointing that out. It's rather strange that it didn't show
        up in the actual posting since I could clearly see it in my outgoing
        message. Probably has something to do with the fact I dragged it into
        my email message from another email message already sent to someone
        else, where it was dragged in from my desktop where I had renamed
        it... Here it is again, this time copied and pasted from the web page
        itself (with fingers crossed):

        http://www.ebbc.org/rail/bikes.html

        Now I have the web page open next to this window, I see one of the
        pictures is captioned "Bike car, Czech Republic". Do you know how
        prevalent and well-used these are in the CR, Todd?

        Best,

        Chris M

        Christopher Miller
        Montreal QC Canada
      • Christopher Miller
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2006
          On May 2, 2006, at 7:31 AM, Todd Edelman wrote:

          > US Light Rail Booms
          >
          > Light rail has more than lived up to its expectations in North
          > America and
          > has led to a major rail revival in cities across the continent.
          >
          > http://www.railjournal.com/A/xfeature3.html

          Unfortunately we haven't started to see the effect of this revival
          yet in Montreal, where the last of the old trams rolled of the scene
          in 1962... However, one of the three main mayoral candidates in last
          November's election and his Projet Montréal party have a platform
          that includes bringing in New Tramway lines on several main
          thoroughfares in the heart of the city. Unfortunately he didn't win:
          the media didn't even invite him to participate in the candidates'
          debate, being more interested in the two career politicians who were
          running (a former mayor and the then incumbent and former provincial
          cabinet minister, who narrowly won a second term). The current mayor
          suddenly became interested in the New Tramway after a European trip
          and after toying with the idea, scaled it down to a single line
          running downtown past the "east" (in reality *north*) slope of Mount
          Royal. Just last week saw the release of a report on the
          revitalisation of Montreal's Harbourfront: area, and one of the firm
          recommendations slated for realisation in the first stage of the
          process is putting in place a New Tramway line that should connect
          downtown via two metro stations with the Harbourfront: area, running
          part of the way along an old rail line in the Old Port area below Old
          Montreal. It looks like this is the first actual project of the sort
          that we will actually see in Montreal.

          Here is a link to the Projet Montréal political programme page on
          sustainable transportation, including the role of the New Tramway
          (commitment 54):

          http://www.projetmontreal.org/plateforme_2005/ch03_en.html

          And their English main page with a link to their reactions to Mayor
          Tremblay's retreat on the Tramway:

          http://www.projetmontreal.org/?lang=en

          And here is a link to a page where the recommendations for the
          Harbourfront canbe downloaded as PDFs:

          http://www.havremontreal.qc.ca/en/index.htm

          Christopher Miller
          Montreal QC Canada