Re: [carfree_cities] US Light Rail Booms

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2006
      I'm taking the liberty of combining threads here, partly in answer to
      "citizen cop" 's misgivings over an earlier bike-centred thread... ;-)

      There have been some rather interesting general/theoretical
      discussions recently on our sister "Carfree" (living) list: one thing
      that came up just a couple of days ago was a link to a San Francisco
      Bay area activist group's page on bike facilities on (urban) train
      systems around the world. The page is mostly pictures with spare
      commentary, but it's worth keeping mind the traditional exchange rate
      for calculating the relative value of pictures against words... As
      rail again (and the faster the better) gains predominance over
      private automobiles in cities, planners *really* need to remember the
      central importance of *effectively* integrating bicycles -- the
      *other* main city-friendly and humane transit mode -- with the mass
      transit system...

      Here's the URL:

      ----------

      Cheers & best regards,

      Chris Miller

      On May 2, 2006, at 7:31 AM, Todd Edelman wrote:

      > US Light Rail Booms
      >
      > Light rail has more than lived up to its expectations in North
      > America and
      > has led to a major rail revival in cities across the continent.
      >
      > http://www.railjournal.com/A/xfeature3.html

      Christopher Miller
      Montreal QC Canada

    • Todd Edelman
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2006
        > I'm taking the liberty of combining threads here, partly in answer to
        > "citizen cop" 's misgivings over an earlier bike-centred thread... ;-)

        Hi,

        A bike-thread woven into the carfree fabric is the goal, ja? And lightrail
        is certainly just as important a piece of the garment. The discussion was
        just becoming one about bikes, not putting it into the larger context (I
        love bikes, am about to get on mine now) so yes I was wrong to just post
        the light-rail thing without asking questions such as, e.g., how we can
        get this interest to go beyond park+ride, etc.

        and your url was missing...

        Todd Edelman
        International Coordinator
        On the Train Towards the Future!

        Green Idea Factory
        Laubova 5
        CZ-13000 Praha 3

        ++420 605 915 970

        edelman@...
        http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

        Green Idea Factory,
        a member of World Carfree Network
      • Christopher Miller
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2006
          On May 2, 2006, at 10:34 AM, Todd Edelman wrote:

          >> I'm taking the liberty of combining threads here, partly in answer to
          >> "citizen cop" 's misgivings over an earlier bike-centred
          >> thread... ;-)
          >
          > A bike-thread woven into the carfree fabric is the goal, ja?

          ...wohl... !

          > And lightrail
          > is certainly just as important a piece of the garment. The
          > discussion was
          > just becoming one about bikes, not putting it into the larger
          > context (I
          > love bikes, am about to get on mine now) so yes I was wrong to just
          > post
          > the light-rail thing without asking questions such as, e.g., how we
          > can
          > get this interest to go beyond park+ride, etc.

          I agree with you completely ,Todd: no criticisms were meant, nor any
          quibbles with your point (and note the good-humoured wink at the end
          of my 2 cents worth...)

          > and your url was missing...

          Thanks for pointing that out. It's rather strange that it didn't show
          up in the actual posting since I could clearly see it in my outgoing
          message. Probably has something to do with the fact I dragged it into
          my email message from another email message already sent to someone
          else, where it was dragged in from my desktop where I had renamed
          it... Here it is again, this time copied and pasted from the web page
          itself (with fingers crossed):

          http://www.ebbc.org/rail/bikes.html

          Now I have the web page open next to this window, I see one of the
          pictures is captioned "Bike car, Czech Republic". Do you know how
          prevalent and well-used these are in the CR, Todd?

          Best,

          Chris M

          Christopher Miller
          Montreal QC Canada
        • Christopher Miller
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2006
            On May 2, 2006, at 7:31 AM, Todd Edelman wrote:

            > US Light Rail Booms
            >
            > Light rail has more than lived up to its expectations in North
            > America and
            > has led to a major rail revival in cities across the continent.
            >
            > http://www.railjournal.com/A/xfeature3.html

            Unfortunately we haven't started to see the effect of this revival
            yet in Montreal, where the last of the old trams rolled of the scene
            in 1962... However, one of the three main mayoral candidates in last
            November's election and his Projet Montréal party have a platform
            that includes bringing in New Tramway lines on several main
            thoroughfares in the heart of the city. Unfortunately he didn't win:
            the media didn't even invite him to participate in the candidates'
            debate, being more interested in the two career politicians who were
            running (a former mayor and the then incumbent and former provincial
            cabinet minister, who narrowly won a second term). The current mayor
            suddenly became interested in the New Tramway after a European trip
            and after toying with the idea, scaled it down to a single line
            running downtown past the "east" (in reality *north*) slope of Mount
            Royal. Just last week saw the release of a report on the
            revitalisation of Montreal's Harbourfront: area, and one of the firm
            recommendations slated for realisation in the first stage of the
            process is putting in place a New Tramway line that should connect
            downtown via two metro stations with the Harbourfront: area, running
            part of the way along an old rail line in the Old Port area below Old
            Montreal. It looks like this is the first actual project of the sort
            that we will actually see in Montreal.

            Here is a link to the Projet Montréal political programme page on
            sustainable transportation, including the role of the New Tramway
            (commitment 54):

            http://www.projetmontreal.org/plateforme_2005/ch03_en.html

            And their English main page with a link to their reactions to Mayor
            Tremblay's retreat on the Tramway:

            http://www.projetmontreal.org/?lang=en

            And here is a link to a page where the recommendations for the
            Harbourfront canbe downloaded as PDFs:

            http://www.havremontreal.qc.ca/en/index.htm

            Christopher Miller
            Montreal QC Canada