US Light Rail Booms

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2006
      US Light Rail Booms

      Light rail has more than lived up to its expectations in North America and
      has led to a major rail revival in cities across the continent.

      http://www.railjournal.com/A/xfeature3.html

      Todd Edelman
      International Coordinator
      On the Train Towards the Future!

      Green Idea Factory
      Laubova 5
      CZ-13000 Praha 3

      ++420 605 915 970

      edelman@...
      http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

      Green Idea Factory,
      a member of World Carfree Network
    • Christopher Miller
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2006
        I'm taking the liberty of combining threads here, partly in answer to
        "citizen cop" 's misgivings over an earlier bike-centred thread... ;-)

        There have been some rather interesting general/theoretical
        discussions recently on our sister "Carfree" (living) list: one thing
        that came up just a couple of days ago was a link to a San Francisco
        Bay area activist group's page on bike facilities on (urban) train
        systems around the world. The page is mostly pictures with spare
        commentary, but it's worth keeping mind the traditional exchange rate
        for calculating the relative value of pictures against words... As
        rail again (and the faster the better) gains predominance over
        private automobiles in cities, planners *really* need to remember the
        central importance of *effectively* integrating bicycles -- the
        *other* main city-friendly and humane transit mode -- with the mass
        transit system...

        Here's the URL:

        ----------

        Cheers & best regards,

        Chris Miller

        On May 2, 2006, at 7:31 AM, Todd Edelman wrote:

        > US Light Rail Booms
        >
        > Light rail has more than lived up to its expectations in North
        > America and
        > has led to a major rail revival in cities across the continent.
        >
        > http://www.railjournal.com/A/xfeature3.html

        Christopher Miller
        Montreal QC Canada

      • Todd Edelman
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2006
          > I'm taking the liberty of combining threads here, partly in answer to
          > "citizen cop" 's misgivings over an earlier bike-centred thread... ;-)

          Hi,

          A bike-thread woven into the carfree fabric is the goal, ja? And lightrail
          is certainly just as important a piece of the garment. The discussion was
          just becoming one about bikes, not putting it into the larger context (I
          love bikes, am about to get on mine now) so yes I was wrong to just post
          the light-rail thing without asking questions such as, e.g., how we can
          get this interest to go beyond park+ride, etc.

          and your url was missing...

          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2006
            On May 2, 2006, at 10:34 AM, Todd Edelman wrote:

            >> I'm taking the liberty of combining threads here, partly in answer to
            >> "citizen cop" 's misgivings over an earlier bike-centred
            >> thread... ;-)
            >
            > A bike-thread woven into the carfree fabric is the goal, ja?

            ...wohl... !

            > And lightrail
            > is certainly just as important a piece of the garment. The
            > discussion was
            > just becoming one about bikes, not putting it into the larger
            > context (I
            > love bikes, am about to get on mine now) so yes I was wrong to just
            > post
            > the light-rail thing without asking questions such as, e.g., how we
            > can
            > get this interest to go beyond park+ride, etc.

            I agree with you completely ,Todd: no criticisms were meant, nor any
            quibbles with your point (and note the good-humoured wink at the end
            of my 2 cents worth...)

            > and your url was missing...

            Thanks for pointing that out. It's rather strange that it didn't show
            up in the actual posting since I could clearly see it in my outgoing
            message. Probably has something to do with the fact I dragged it into
            my email message from another email message already sent to someone
            else, where it was dragged in from my desktop where I had renamed
            it... Here it is again, this time copied and pasted from the web page
            itself (with fingers crossed):

            http://www.ebbc.org/rail/bikes.html

            Now I have the web page open next to this window, I see one of the
            pictures is captioned "Bike car, Czech Republic". Do you know how
            prevalent and well-used these are in the CR, Todd?

            Best,

            Chris M

            Christopher Miller
            Montreal QC Canada
          • Christopher Miller
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2006
              On May 2, 2006, at 7:31 AM, Todd Edelman wrote:

              > US Light Rail Booms
              >
              > Light rail has more than lived up to its expectations in North
              > America and
              > has led to a major rail revival in cities across the continent.
              >
              > http://www.railjournal.com/A/xfeature3.html

              Unfortunately we haven't started to see the effect of this revival
              yet in Montreal, where the last of the old trams rolled of the scene
              in 1962... However, one of the three main mayoral candidates in last
              November's election and his Projet Montréal party have a platform
              that includes bringing in New Tramway lines on several main
              thoroughfares in the heart of the city. Unfortunately he didn't win:
              the media didn't even invite him to participate in the candidates'
              debate, being more interested in the two career politicians who were
              running (a former mayor and the then incumbent and former provincial
              cabinet minister, who narrowly won a second term). The current mayor
              suddenly became interested in the New Tramway after a European trip
              and after toying with the idea, scaled it down to a single line
              running downtown past the "east" (in reality *north*) slope of Mount
              Royal. Just last week saw the release of a report on the
              revitalisation of Montreal's Harbourfront: area, and one of the firm
              recommendations slated for realisation in the first stage of the
              process is putting in place a New Tramway line that should connect
              downtown via two metro stations with the Harbourfront: area, running
              part of the way along an old rail line in the Old Port area below Old
              Montreal. It looks like this is the first actual project of the sort
              that we will actually see in Montreal.

              Here is a link to the Projet Montréal political programme page on
              sustainable transportation, including the role of the New Tramway
              (commitment 54):

              http://www.projetmontreal.org/plateforme_2005/ch03_en.html

              And their English main page with a link to their reactions to Mayor
              Tremblay's retreat on the Tramway:

              http://www.projetmontreal.org/?lang=en

              And here is a link to a page where the recommendations for the
              Harbourfront canbe downloaded as PDFs:

              http://www.havremontreal.qc.ca/en/index.htm

              Christopher Miller
              Montreal QC Canada