Re: [carfree_cities] "I can't afford my gasoline"

  • Dan Kliman
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26 5:48 PM
      --- Bling Williams <bobalinga@...> wrote:

      > Good link :-)
      > Wonder how things will fare when American gasoline
      > reaches the prices the rest of the world pay?

      I doubt the US government will let it get that far.
      Americans have a very low tolerance for paying for
      gas, and already this has become a major issue for
      Bush.

      Despite not even reaching half of what Europeans pay
      for gas, the rise in prices is convincing people to
      drive less, at least according to this article in San
      Francisco's paper of record, the SF Chronicle
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/04/22/MNGH9IDLVS1.DTL&hw=gas+prices&sn=088&sc=196

      This shows what we already suspected -- raise the
      prices and people drive less and think about
      conservation. It also confirms another thing we
      suspected -- a switch to hybrid cars or other vehicles
      with higher mileage per gallon will only encourage
      people to drive more.

      Dan