Re: [carfree_cities] Comments on "Urban Hazards and Their Mitigation"

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2006
      Sean wrote:

      > A few thoughts on Emergency Management in the Reference City:

      > However, regardless of building codes, a Fire Department /
      > Brigade would be required.

      WHAT about volunteer brigades, at least as supplements? Remember, we are
      talking about the return of real communities...

      ---

      Without cars, sirens could be altered, and quieted.
      I THOUGHT of that as well. I think that sirens get louder as cars get more
      sound-insulated. This is insane, as it just makes drivers more...
      hearing-impaired.

      ----
      > Fire Trucks
      > would likely have to be conventional, at least for some time, though they
      > could be run on bio-diesel.

      DO you know how big are the engines on the biggest fire trucks (this would
      dictate fuel use, as all should use same fuel)? The biggest gas engines
      (CNG or biogas) for buses are about 10 litres.

      Todd Edelman
      International Coordinator
      On the Train Towards the Future!

      Green Idea Factory