Re: [carfree_cities] Comments on "Urban Hazards and Their Mitigation"

  • Sean Brooks
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12 3:36 AM
      A few thoughts on Emergency Management in the Reference City:

      Hospitals:
      I was just playing with hospital needs, here's some good info for reference
      design #'s
      US high average: 3 hospital beds per 1,000. (I'd think that the reference
      design would need slightly less than average, with all the walking, clean
      air, and accessibility).
      Hospital size (IMO best size). 50-100 bed (a large small hospital), ideally
      with a total staff of about 150. At least one cost study shows a lower
      per-patient cost for <100 bed hospitals than for >300 bed hospitals. This
      would mean that just about every other district had a hospital.

      Emergency Medicine:
      I'm not sure whether the reference city would need fewer or more ambulances
      than a 'normal' city. I believe the residents would be healthier, and would
      have better access to public transit, but would have less access to cars. I
      am absolutely sure that the reference city would require less service per
      capita than Washington, DC. A reasonable estimate is that 1 million
      citizens would generate roughly 100,000 calls for EMS service. Furthermore,
      with high geographical density, ambulances & paramedic units could have a
      relatively high utlization. At 50% use, and roughly 1 hour per call, an
      average of 23 ambulances would have to be in service. Using standard
      response speed calculations (approaching 35 mph as distance approaches
      infinity), and a 6 minute response goal, we have a maximum designed response
      distance of 2 miles, or generally 8 nodes. This would require roughly 12
      'depots' or stations, if they are used as such. Depending on EMS system
      design, though, ambulances could be stationed throughout the city at
      hospitals, or be quartered at one major depot and dispersed through the city
      as availability dictates. If quartered in individual EMS stations, units
      could respond throughout the city within 6 minutes from two stations in each
      lobe: one located in the Utility areas, and one located in the innermost of
      the 'loop' nodes, where the two outer boulevards join.

      Fire Suppression / Brigade.

      As a reference city, if built on a greenfield, building codes could be very
      strict from a fire safety standpoint, possibly with positive architectural
      side-effects. However, regardless of building codes, a Fire Department /
      Brigade would be required. In all but the densest of US cities, Fire
      Department response and coverage is dictated by geography, not demand.
      (unlike EMS) I suspect that the reference city would have fire stations to
      cover geography, with the availability to quarter multiple companies in each
      fire station, if the need to do so presents itself. Generally, fire
      department response has tighter time tolerances than EMS does, with a 4
      minute response being the industry goal in the US. Such a goal limits
      coverage to roughly 1.5 miles, or 6 nodes in a line from a central point.
      This means 3 stations per lobe: one at the border between the residential
      nodes and the utility area on the 'short side' of the loop, another midway
      down the long side of the loop, and a third, near the juncture of the two
      sides of the loop.

      I'm under the impression that emergency vehicles would simply drive on the
      pedestrian areas. Without cars, sirens could be altered, and quieted.
      Strict dispatch procedures could reduce the need for loud responses as well.
      Ambulances can be made from Mercedes-Benz Sprinters, which currently have
      a hybrid model (meaning that an electric model is possible). Fire Trucks
      would likely have to be conventional, at least for some time, though they
      could be run on bio-diesel. Furthermore, the response of diesel powered
      fire trucks could be reduced by equipping stations with small electric
      utility vehicles, or even bicycles, with which to perform those tasks
      required of a fire department that do not depend on large fire apparatus /
      appliances.

      General Emergency Management:
      The relatively high density of the reference design allows a certain economy
      in using fixed chemical, biological, and radiological detectors, as well as
      fixed cctvs. Building codes can reduce the effect of tornados, hurricanes,
      and earthquakes. The density economizes on protective dikes and dams - I
      find it unlikely that humanity will cease to build on floodplains and below
      sea level.

    • Todd Edelman
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12 7:01 PM
        Sean wrote:

        > A few thoughts on Emergency Management in the Reference City:

        > However, regardless of building codes, a Fire Department /
        > Brigade would be required.

        WHAT about volunteer brigades, at least as supplements? Remember, we are
        talking about the return of real communities...

        ---

        Without cars, sirens could be altered, and quieted.
        I THOUGHT of that as well. I think that sirens get louder as cars get more
        sound-insulated. This is insane, as it just makes drivers more...
        hearing-impaired.

        ----
        > Fire Trucks
        > would likely have to be conventional, at least for some time, though they
        > could be run on bio-diesel.

        DO you know how big are the engines on the biggest fire trucks (this would
        dictate fuel use, as all should use same fuel)? The biggest gas engines
        (CNG or biogas) for buses are about 10 litres.