Re: [carfree_cities] My incredible joy shattered by one plank in the platform!!!

  • Martha Torell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2000

      > Your location in a city should not be designated by a mear 2
      > coordinate system, but also a third coordinate accounting for height
      > or even DEPTH, as building underground is just as practicle.
      >
      > I'm sorry, but I cannot possibly condone this web site which had for
      > a brief moment been the boon in my crusade. There is a grievous flaw
      > that negates the whole arguement present and to refer someone here
      > would only confuse them.

      In this group you will find many versions of how a car free city can be
      designed. Though it is tempting to look back 200 years when everything
      was car free, it was also electrical power free. We would change city
      life and design at least as much as the auto did because we have new
      ingredients in the brew, electrical power and a desire to free ourselves
      of autodependence.

      I take your point about thinking 3D when it comes to urban design. And
      for industrial uses particularly I say go to ground -- what better way
      to control emissions, and know which companies emit which pollutants.
      In this age of electrical power healthful ventilation could be
      maintained far underground. If emissions could be controlled, that is,
      cleaned before ejection into the atmosphere, and if noise and
      contaminants could be controlled by underground containment, we would
      have the interesting situation of people being able to live close to
      heavy industry, without their health or esthetic senses suffering.

      I really go for mixed use buildings. And I hope to see people build in
      hurricane country, right on the coast, heavy, steel frame and concrete,
      rounded corners that the winds can't catch, a city laced through with
      canals to accomodate the inevitable floods, and the lower stories
      designed to take it too, maybe as boat houses. Sometimes it would be
      Venice, sometimes it would be great skateboarding.

      Martha