RE: [carfree_cities] Re: Climate change: And still they slept on....

  • Andrew Dawson
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 9, 2006
      tokyotuds wrote:
      >Here in Japan it is standard for employers to reimburse 100% of transit
      >commuting costs
      >to employees. My pass costs about US$75 a month (avg. US$150 in Tokyo) and
      >the
      >reimbursement is a non-taxable benefit for me, and is deductible on my
      >employers
      >corporate tax. And the community suffers one less car on the road to the
      >office.
      >
      >A win-win-win situation....
      >
      >I feel absolutely every tax authority should adopt this policy. Even
      >better is to eliminate
      >the paperwork by simply making transit free to the rider as JH Crawford
      >advocates.

      So make public transit free and pay for it all through gas taxes. Later,
      Andrew
    • Dan Kliman
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 9, 2006
        --- Andrew Dawson <m82a1_dawson@...> wrote:
        > So make public transit free and pay for it all
        > through gas taxes.

        That creates a big paradox, especially when the goal
        is car-free cities. In this scenerio, transit would
        become dependant on driving, and more specifically,
        gas consumption.

        You would be placing transit at the mercy of the
        perpetuation of car driving.

        Dan