Re: Climate change: And still they slept on....

  • tokyotuds
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 8, 2006
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Fiddies" <v03fiia@...> wrote:

      > Another suggestion that is in the pipeline is changing the law so that
      > employers can give their workforce travel passes without them being taxed.
      >

      > Ian Fiddies

      Hi Ian,

      Here in Japan it is standard for employers to reimburse 100% of transit commuting costs
      to employees. My pass costs about US$75 a month (avg. US$150 in Tokyo) and the
      reimbursement is a non-taxable benefit for me, and is deductible on my employers
      corporate tax. And the community suffers one less car on the road to the office.

      A win-win-win situation....

      I feel absolutely every tax authority should adopt this policy. Even better is to eliminate
      the paperwork by simply making transit free to the rider as JH Crawford advocates.

      Mata,
      TokyoTuds
    • Andrew Dawson
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 9, 2006
        tokyotuds wrote:
        >Here in Japan it is standard for employers to reimburse 100% of transit
        >commuting costs
        >to employees. My pass costs about US$75 a month (avg. US$150 in Tokyo) and
        >the
        >reimbursement is a non-taxable benefit for me, and is deductible on my
        >employers
        >corporate tax. And the community suffers one less car on the road to the
        >office.
        >
        >A win-win-win situation....
        >
        >I feel absolutely every tax authority should adopt this policy. Even
        >better is to eliminate
        >the paperwork by simply making transit free to the rider as JH Crawford
        >advocates.

        So make public transit free and pay for it all through gas taxes. Later,
        Andrew
      • Dan Kliman
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 9, 2006
          --- Andrew Dawson <m82a1_dawson@...> wrote:
          > So make public transit free and pay for it all
          > through gas taxes.

          That creates a big paradox, especially when the goal
          is car-free cities. In this scenerio, transit would
          become dependant on driving, and more specifically,
          gas consumption.

          You would be placing transit at the mercy of the
          perpetuation of car driving.

          Dan