Re: [carfree_cities] Transit ads

  • Andrew Dawson
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 2 10:56 AM
      Christopher Miller wrote:
      >Interesting; I haven't been on a Montreal bus (as opposed to the
      >Metro) for ages. Are they up on the buses already?
      >One thing I think would be useful is to have these ads on TV and
      >radio and in the papers

      This means money which is always in short supply when is comes to mass
      transit.

      >as well (and not just the free "Metro"
      >newspaper that belongs to the Swedish-owned international chain): it
      >seems to me that targeting these ads only at transit users is setting
      >one's sights a bit low...

      It's in house.

      >Here's a direct link to a PDF showing the ads in question, which are
      >supposed to be placed in buses in the nine public transit
      >corporations around Quebec:
      >
      >http://www.atuq.com/_library/images/contentImages/Visuels_regroupes.pdf
      >
      >"By taking public transit
      >
      >- Pierre and Sophie are getting rid of traffic jams
      >- Jacqueline is taking care of smog
      >- Pierre and Sophie are freeing up traffic
      >- Lea is protecting the environment
      >- John is saving the planet
      >- Marie-Ange is freeing up traffic
      >- Raymonde is keeping the economy rolling
      >- Marc is fighting against the greenhouse effect"

      These things are better off on the back of a bus than inside of one.

      Later, Andrew
    • Andrew Dawson
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 2 12:29 PM
        >Christopher Miller wrote:
        > >Interesting; I haven't been on a Montreal bus (as opposed to the
        > >Metro) for ages. Are they up on the buses already?
        > >One thing I think would be useful is to have these ads on TV and
        > >radio and in the papers
        >
        >This means money which is always in short supply when is comes to mass
        >transit.
        >
        > >as well (and not just the free "Metro"
        > >newspaper that belongs to the Swedish-owned international chain): it
        > >seems to me that targeting these ads only at transit users is setting
        > >one's sights a bit low...
        >
        >It's in house.
        >
        > >Here's a direct link to a PDF showing the ads in question, which are
        > >supposed to be placed in buses in the nine public transit
        > >corporations around Quebec:
        > >
        > >http://www.atuq.com/_library/images/contentImages/Visuels_regroupes.pdf
        > >
        > >"By taking public transit
        > >
        > >- Pierre and Sophie are getting rid of traffic jams
        > >- Jacqueline is taking care of smog
        > >- Pierre and Sophie are freeing up traffic
        > >- Lea is protecting the environment
        > >- John is saving the planet
        > >- Marie-Ange is freeing up traffic
        > >- Raymonde is keeping the economy rolling
        > >- Marc is fighting against the greenhouse effect"
        >
        >These things are better off on the back of a bus than inside of one.

        On a foot note there are things like Operation Lifesaver.
        http://www.oli.org/
        http://www.operationlifesaver.ca/

        Also when it comes to promoting rail and the environment there hasn't been
        much out there either.
        http://www.imrcmodels.com/ho/html/45202.htm

        Later, Andrew
      • hcfdave
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 6 5:12 PM
          --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "J.H. Crawford"
          <mailbox@...> wrote:

          > >Where would you put all that added money once you collect it
          from the
          > >carbon tax?
          >
          > income tax reductions for the working poor and lower middle
          class?
          No-- carbon tax money should be directed toward making fares
          affordable, and special programs for greatly lowered fares for
          people with low income, people with disabilities, as well as also
          for people who don't have drivers licenses (maybe there should
          be a "non-driver registry" and checking system to make sure no
          criminal motorheads rip off the system-- if that reeks too much of
          privacy invasion, substantial penalties for those caught ripping
          off the pubic transpo system-- for example, If someone's car
          breaks and there happens to be a bus that can rescue them in
          spite of this driver's direct responsibility for the demise of public
          transpo, they should certainly pay maximum fare!)

          Happily-Car-Free Dave
        • tokyotuds
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 8 12:17 AM
            --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Fiddies" <v03fiia@...> wrote:

            > Another suggestion that is in the pipeline is changing the law so that
            > employers can give their workforce travel passes without them being taxed.
            >

            > Ian Fiddies

            Hi Ian,

            Here in Japan it is standard for employers to reimburse 100% of transit commuting costs
            to employees. My pass costs about US$75 a month (avg. US$150 in Tokyo) and the
            reimbursement is a non-taxable benefit for me, and is deductible on my employers
            corporate tax. And the community suffers one less car on the road to the office.

            A win-win-win situation....

            I feel absolutely every tax authority should adopt this policy. Even better is to eliminate
            the paperwork by simply making transit free to the rider as JH Crawford advocates.

            Mata,
            TokyoTuds
          • Andrew Dawson
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 9 12:01 PM
              tokyotuds wrote:
              >Here in Japan it is standard for employers to reimburse 100% of transit
              >commuting costs
              >to employees. My pass costs about US$75 a month (avg. US$150 in Tokyo) and
              >the
              >reimbursement is a non-taxable benefit for me, and is deductible on my
              >employers
              >corporate tax. And the community suffers one less car on the road to the
              >office.
              >
              >A win-win-win situation....
              >
              >I feel absolutely every tax authority should adopt this policy. Even
              >better is to eliminate
              >the paperwork by simply making transit free to the rider as JH Crawford
              >advocates.

              So make public transit free and pay for it all through gas taxes. Later,
              Andrew
            • Dan Kliman
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 9 6:19 PM
                --- Andrew Dawson <m82a1_dawson@...> wrote:
                > So make public transit free and pay for it all
                > through gas taxes.

                That creates a big paradox, especially when the goal
                is car-free cities. In this scenerio, transit would
                become dependant on driving, and more specifically,
                gas consumption.

                You would be placing transit at the mercy of the
                perpetuation of car driving.

                Dan