Re: [carfree_cities] Transit ads

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 1, 2006
      On Apr 1, 2006, at 8:21 PM, Andrew Dawson wrote:

      > Simon Baddeley wrote:
      >> Car companies are astute at
      >> using these methods to insinuate autodependency into the minds of
      >> the young
      >> at an early age. We need ingenious ideas on school buses. As a
      >> regular
      >> traveller on buses (with my folding bicycle) in Birmingham and
      >> elsewhere I
      >> see ads for concessionary fares, ads against dropping litter, ads
      >> for bus
      >> drivers. I would have thought some publicity for green travel such as
      >> cycling would not run amiss and not be seen as competing with bus
      >> travel.
      >> How about ad, congratulating passengers for choosing then greener
      >> option of
      >> bus travel - showing the bus "footprint" compared to the number of
      >> cars
      >> that
      >> would be on the road if passengers were travelling that way.
      >
      > Here in Montreal we have a similar thing going on with our buses.
      > http://www.atuq.com/actualit%c3%a9/actualite_35.asp
      > http://www.atuq.com/actualit%c3%a9/actualite_36.asp

      Interesting; I haven't been on a Montreal bus (as opposed to the
      Metro) for ages. Are they up on the buses already?
      One thing I think would be useful is to have these ads on TV and
      radio and in the papers as well (and not just the free "Metro"
      newspaper that belongs to the Swedish-owned international chain): it
      seems to me that targeting these ads only at transit users is setting
      one's sights a bit low...

      Here's a direct link to a PDF showing the ads in question, which are
      supposed to be placed in buses in the nine public transit
      corporations around Quebec:

      http://www.atuq.com/_library/images/contentImages/Visuels_regroupes.pdf

      "By taking public transit

      - Pierre and Sophie are getting rid of traffic jams
      - Jacqueline is taking care of smog
      - Pierre and Sophie are freeing up traffic
      - Lea is protecting the environment
      - John is saving the planet
      - Marie-Ange is freeing up traffic
      - Raymonde is keeping the economy rolling
      - Marc is fighting against the greenhouse effect"

      Christopher Miller
      Montreal QC Canada
    • Andrew Dawson
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 2, 2006
        Christopher Miller wrote:
        >Interesting; I haven't been on a Montreal bus (as opposed to the
        >Metro) for ages. Are they up on the buses already?
        >One thing I think would be useful is to have these ads on TV and
        >radio and in the papers

        This means money which is always in short supply when is comes to mass
        transit.

        >as well (and not just the free "Metro"
        >newspaper that belongs to the Swedish-owned international chain): it
        >seems to me that targeting these ads only at transit users is setting
        >one's sights a bit low...

        It's in house.

        >Here's a direct link to a PDF showing the ads in question, which are
        >supposed to be placed in buses in the nine public transit
        >corporations around Quebec:
        >
        >http://www.atuq.com/_library/images/contentImages/Visuels_regroupes.pdf
        >
        >"By taking public transit
        >
        >- Pierre and Sophie are getting rid of traffic jams
        >- Jacqueline is taking care of smog
        >- Pierre and Sophie are freeing up traffic
        >- Lea is protecting the environment
        >- John is saving the planet
        >- Marie-Ange is freeing up traffic
        >- Raymonde is keeping the economy rolling
        >- Marc is fighting against the greenhouse effect"

        These things are better off on the back of a bus than inside of one.

        Later, Andrew
      • Andrew Dawson
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 2, 2006
          >Christopher Miller wrote:
          > >Interesting; I haven't been on a Montreal bus (as opposed to the
          > >Metro) for ages. Are they up on the buses already?
          > >One thing I think would be useful is to have these ads on TV and
          > >radio and in the papers
          >
          >This means money which is always in short supply when is comes to mass
          >transit.
          >
          > >as well (and not just the free "Metro"
          > >newspaper that belongs to the Swedish-owned international chain): it
          > >seems to me that targeting these ads only at transit users is setting
          > >one's sights a bit low...
          >
          >It's in house.
          >
          > >Here's a direct link to a PDF showing the ads in question, which are
          > >supposed to be placed in buses in the nine public transit
          > >corporations around Quebec:
          > >
          > >http://www.atuq.com/_library/images/contentImages/Visuels_regroupes.pdf
          > >
          > >"By taking public transit
          > >
          > >- Pierre and Sophie are getting rid of traffic jams
          > >- Jacqueline is taking care of smog
          > >- Pierre and Sophie are freeing up traffic
          > >- Lea is protecting the environment
          > >- John is saving the planet
          > >- Marie-Ange is freeing up traffic
          > >- Raymonde is keeping the economy rolling
          > >- Marc is fighting against the greenhouse effect"
          >
          >These things are better off on the back of a bus than inside of one.

          On a foot note there are things like Operation Lifesaver.
          http://www.oli.org/
          http://www.operationlifesaver.ca/

          Also when it comes to promoting rail and the environment there hasn't been
          much out there either.
          http://www.imrcmodels.com/ho/html/45202.htm

          Later, Andrew
        • hcfdave
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 6, 2006
            --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "J.H. Crawford"
            <mailbox@...> wrote:

            > >Where would you put all that added money once you collect it
            from the
            > >carbon tax?
            >
            > income tax reductions for the working poor and lower middle
            class?
            No-- carbon tax money should be directed toward making fares
            affordable, and special programs for greatly lowered fares for
            people with low income, people with disabilities, as well as also
            for people who don't have drivers licenses (maybe there should
            be a "non-driver registry" and checking system to make sure no
            criminal motorheads rip off the system-- if that reeks too much of
            privacy invasion, substantial penalties for those caught ripping
            off the pubic transpo system-- for example, If someone's car
            breaks and there happens to be a bus that can rescue them in
            spite of this driver's direct responsibility for the demise of public
            transpo, they should certainly pay maximum fare!)

            Happily-Car-Free Dave
          • tokyotuds
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 8, 2006
              --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Fiddies" <v03fiia@...> wrote:

              > Another suggestion that is in the pipeline is changing the law so that
              > employers can give their workforce travel passes without them being taxed.
              >

              > Ian Fiddies

              Hi Ian,

              Here in Japan it is standard for employers to reimburse 100% of transit commuting costs
              to employees. My pass costs about US$75 a month (avg. US$150 in Tokyo) and the
              reimbursement is a non-taxable benefit for me, and is deductible on my employers
              corporate tax. And the community suffers one less car on the road to the office.

              A win-win-win situation....

              I feel absolutely every tax authority should adopt this policy. Even better is to eliminate
              the paperwork by simply making transit free to the rider as JH Crawford advocates.

              Mata,
              TokyoTuds
            • Andrew Dawson
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 9, 2006
                tokyotuds wrote:
                >Here in Japan it is standard for employers to reimburse 100% of transit
                >commuting costs
                >to employees. My pass costs about US$75 a month (avg. US$150 in Tokyo) and
                >the
                >reimbursement is a non-taxable benefit for me, and is deductible on my
                >employers
                >corporate tax. And the community suffers one less car on the road to the
                >office.
                >
                >A win-win-win situation....
                >
                >I feel absolutely every tax authority should adopt this policy. Even
                >better is to eliminate
                >the paperwork by simply making transit free to the rider as JH Crawford
                >advocates.

                So make public transit free and pay for it all through gas taxes. Later,
                Andrew
              • Dan Kliman
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 9, 2006
                  --- Andrew Dawson <m82a1_dawson@...> wrote:
                  > So make public transit free and pay for it all
                  > through gas taxes.

                  That creates a big paradox, especially when the goal
                  is car-free cities. In this scenerio, transit would
                  become dependant on driving, and more specifically,
                  gas consumption.

                  You would be placing transit at the mercy of the
                  perpetuation of car driving.

                  Dan