Transit ads

  • Andrew Dawson
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 1, 2006
      Simon Baddeley wrote:
      >Car companies are astute at
      >using these methods to insinuate autodependency into the minds of the young
      >at an early age. We need ingenious ideas on school buses. As a regular
      >traveller on buses (with my folding bicycle) in Birmingham and elsewhere I
      >see ads for concessionary fares, ads against dropping litter, ads for bus
      >drivers. I would have thought some publicity for green travel such as
      >cycling would not run amiss and not be seen as competing with bus travel.
      >How about ad, congratulating passengers for choosing then greener option of
      >bus travel - showing the bus "footprint" compared to the number of cars
      >that
      >would be on the road if passengers were travelling that way.

      Here in Montreal we have a similar thing going on with our buses.
      http://www.atuq.com/actualit%ef%bf%bd/actualite_35.asp
      http://www.atuq.com/actualit%ef%bf%bd/actualite_36.asp

      Later, Andrew
    • Christopher Miller
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 1, 2006
        On Apr 1, 2006, at 8:21 PM, Andrew Dawson wrote:

        > Simon Baddeley wrote:
        >> Car companies are astute at
        >> using these methods to insinuate autodependency into the minds of
        >> the young
        >> at an early age. We need ingenious ideas on school buses. As a
        >> regular
        >> traveller on buses (with my folding bicycle) in Birmingham and
        >> elsewhere I
        >> see ads for concessionary fares, ads against dropping litter, ads
        >> for bus
        >> drivers. I would have thought some publicity for green travel such as
        >> cycling would not run amiss and not be seen as competing with bus
        >> travel.
        >> How about ad, congratulating passengers for choosing then greener
        >> option of
        >> bus travel - showing the bus "footprint" compared to the number of
        >> cars
        >> that
        >> would be on the road if passengers were travelling that way.
        >
        > Here in Montreal we have a similar thing going on with our buses.
        > http://www.atuq.com/actualit%c3%a9/actualite_35.asp
        > http://www.atuq.com/actualit%c3%a9/actualite_36.asp

        Interesting; I haven't been on a Montreal bus (as opposed to the
        Metro) for ages. Are they up on the buses already?
        One thing I think would be useful is to have these ads on TV and
        radio and in the papers as well (and not just the free "Metro"
        newspaper that belongs to the Swedish-owned international chain): it
        seems to me that targeting these ads only at transit users is setting
        one's sights a bit low...

        Here's a direct link to a PDF showing the ads in question, which are
        supposed to be placed in buses in the nine public transit
        corporations around Quebec:

        http://www.atuq.com/_library/images/contentImages/Visuels_regroupes.pdf

        "By taking public transit

        - Pierre and Sophie are getting rid of traffic jams
        - Jacqueline is taking care of smog
        - Pierre and Sophie are freeing up traffic
        - Lea is protecting the environment
        - John is saving the planet
        - Marie-Ange is freeing up traffic
        - Raymonde is keeping the economy rolling
        - Marc is fighting against the greenhouse effect"

        Christopher Miller
        Montreal QC Canada
      • Andrew Dawson
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 2, 2006
          Christopher Miller wrote:
          >Interesting; I haven't been on a Montreal bus (as opposed to the
          >Metro) for ages. Are they up on the buses already?
          >One thing I think would be useful is to have these ads on TV and
          >radio and in the papers

          This means money which is always in short supply when is comes to mass
          transit.

          >as well (and not just the free "Metro"
          >newspaper that belongs to the Swedish-owned international chain): it
          >seems to me that targeting these ads only at transit users is setting
          >one's sights a bit low...

          It's in house.

          >Here's a direct link to a PDF showing the ads in question, which are
          >supposed to be placed in buses in the nine public transit
          >corporations around Quebec:
          >
          >http://www.atuq.com/_library/images/contentImages/Visuels_regroupes.pdf
          >
          >"By taking public transit
          >
          >- Pierre and Sophie are getting rid of traffic jams
          >- Jacqueline is taking care of smog
          >- Pierre and Sophie are freeing up traffic
          >- Lea is protecting the environment
          >- John is saving the planet
          >- Marie-Ange is freeing up traffic
          >- Raymonde is keeping the economy rolling
          >- Marc is fighting against the greenhouse effect"

          These things are better off on the back of a bus than inside of one.

          Later, Andrew
        • Andrew Dawson
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 2, 2006
            >Christopher Miller wrote:
            > >Interesting; I haven't been on a Montreal bus (as opposed to the
            > >Metro) for ages. Are they up on the buses already?
            > >One thing I think would be useful is to have these ads on TV and
            > >radio and in the papers
            >
            >This means money which is always in short supply when is comes to mass
            >transit.
            >
            > >as well (and not just the free "Metro"
            > >newspaper that belongs to the Swedish-owned international chain): it
            > >seems to me that targeting these ads only at transit users is setting
            > >one's sights a bit low...
            >
            >It's in house.
            >
            > >Here's a direct link to a PDF showing the ads in question, which are
            > >supposed to be placed in buses in the nine public transit
            > >corporations around Quebec:
            > >
            > >http://www.atuq.com/_library/images/contentImages/Visuels_regroupes.pdf
            > >
            > >"By taking public transit
            > >
            > >- Pierre and Sophie are getting rid of traffic jams
            > >- Jacqueline is taking care of smog
            > >- Pierre and Sophie are freeing up traffic
            > >- Lea is protecting the environment
            > >- John is saving the planet
            > >- Marie-Ange is freeing up traffic
            > >- Raymonde is keeping the economy rolling
            > >- Marc is fighting against the greenhouse effect"
            >
            >These things are better off on the back of a bus than inside of one.

            On a foot note there are things like Operation Lifesaver.
            http://www.oli.org/
            http://www.operationlifesaver.ca/

            Also when it comes to promoting rail and the environment there hasn't been
            much out there either.
            http://www.imrcmodels.com/ho/html/45202.htm

            Later, Andrew
          • hcfdave
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 6, 2006
              --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "J.H. Crawford"
              <mailbox@...> wrote:

              > >Where would you put all that added money once you collect it
              from the
              > >carbon tax?
              >
              > income tax reductions for the working poor and lower middle
              class?
              No-- carbon tax money should be directed toward making fares
              affordable, and special programs for greatly lowered fares for
              people with low income, people with disabilities, as well as also
              for people who don't have drivers licenses (maybe there should
              be a "non-driver registry" and checking system to make sure no
              criminal motorheads rip off the system-- if that reeks too much of
              privacy invasion, substantial penalties for those caught ripping
              off the pubic transpo system-- for example, If someone's car
              breaks and there happens to be a bus that can rescue them in
              spite of this driver's direct responsibility for the demise of public
              transpo, they should certainly pay maximum fare!)

              Happily-Car-Free Dave
            • tokyotuds
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 8, 2006
                --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Fiddies" <v03fiia@...> wrote:

                > Another suggestion that is in the pipeline is changing the law so that
                > employers can give their workforce travel passes without them being taxed.
                >

                > Ian Fiddies

                Hi Ian,

                Here in Japan it is standard for employers to reimburse 100% of transit commuting costs
                to employees. My pass costs about US$75 a month (avg. US$150 in Tokyo) and the
                reimbursement is a non-taxable benefit for me, and is deductible on my employers
                corporate tax. And the community suffers one less car on the road to the office.

                A win-win-win situation....

                I feel absolutely every tax authority should adopt this policy. Even better is to eliminate
                the paperwork by simply making transit free to the rider as JH Crawford advocates.

                Mata,
                TokyoTuds
              • Andrew Dawson
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 9, 2006
                  tokyotuds wrote:
                  >Here in Japan it is standard for employers to reimburse 100% of transit
                  >commuting costs
                  >to employees. My pass costs about US$75 a month (avg. US$150 in Tokyo) and
                  >the
                  >reimbursement is a non-taxable benefit for me, and is deductible on my
                  >employers
                  >corporate tax. And the community suffers one less car on the road to the
                  >office.
                  >
                  >A win-win-win situation....
                  >
                  >I feel absolutely every tax authority should adopt this policy. Even
                  >better is to eliminate
                  >the paperwork by simply making transit free to the rider as JH Crawford
                  >advocates.

                  So make public transit free and pay for it all through gas taxes. Later,
                  Andrew
                • Dan Kliman
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 9, 2006
                    --- Andrew Dawson <m82a1_dawson@...> wrote:
                    > So make public transit free and pay for it all
                    > through gas taxes.

                    That creates a big paradox, especially when the goal
                    is car-free cities. In this scenerio, transit would
                    become dependant on driving, and more specifically,
                    gas consumption.

                    You would be placing transit at the mercy of the
                    perpetuation of car driving.

                    Dan