Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Climate change/Peak Oil/Dwindling resources; And still they drove on....

  • Mike Morin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2006
      Communities across America (and elsewhere) must endeavor to redevelop local
      and regional economies. In other words we as a culture must seek to
      relocalize, to move towards local and regional self-sufficiency with respect
      to basic needs.

      To do so would include the drastic reduction in the use of the automobile.
      To do so would require the active investment in neighborhood and regional
      cooperatives that would make all necessities available within walking
      distance of all members of the community. In other words, we need to
      radically rearrange the way that resources are allocated to and within our
      communities. Such a strategy would include efforts to provide equity among
      individuals and neighborhoods.

      Each neighborhood could form a neighborhood improvement cooperative fund
      (NIF). A regional union of NIFs (UNIF) could work towards the development
      of equality in opportunity, income, and ownership across the entire region.
      There would be a greatly reduced need for interregional trade, but that
      which continued could be between the various UNIFs.

      The role of train and airplane travel and freight would also be greatly
      reduced.

      How we get form where we are to where we want to be (assuming that folks
      agree that we want and/or need to relocalize) is a daunting problem. It
      requires some consensus that relocalization is what we want and the NIF/UNIF
      scheme is a good way to do it. For example, in such a plan agriCULTURE would
      replace agriBUSINESS. A system of cooperative community culture would
      replace a system of Capitalist Business for meeting the basic needs of all.

      Too far out?

      How do we reach that seemingly majority folks that are asleep at the wheel
      every day?

      MM