"Carfree Cities" New book just out

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2000
      I am just about to review a book:

      J.H.Crawford (2000) Carfree Cities (International Books:Utrecht) ISBN 90
      5727 037 4

      Publisher: International Books <I-books@...>
      Alexander Numankade 17, 3572 KP Utrecht, The Netherlands
      Fax: 00 31 30 273 3614

      Joel Crawford <http://www.carfree.com/>
      Postmaster@carfree .com

      I know the people I’m circulating this to would like to know about it and
      had perhaps heard about some of its initial publishing politics. It is an
      academic think book with much practical within its well illustrated and
      diagrammed 300+ pages. I got a cherished copy for review copy but have also
      invested in my own copy from Amazon.co for just £19 (UKP).

      It’s a ground breaker on ground already being well cultivated. Far more than
      a polemic – despite its seductive flow and writing style - it has gravitas
      and intelligence with a portfolio of academic reference whilst being
      accessible and unpatronising at the same time.

      This is hardly surprising because Joel Crawford, among other things, has
      long been editing a much visited website and paper which draws on and has
      benefited from a global discourse on the redesign of a the urban fabric in
      ways that bring hope and vision for the future of cities.

      "Carfree Cities" looks to the future; respects the past without being bound
      to it by selective recollections; notes examples of cities where the
      benefits of carfree public spaces are already present, enhancing local
      economies and social interaction. I would be grateful for comments from
      others who have read early editions of the book for my review.

      “Carfree Cities” like many other texts offers many reminders of how much
      public space has been lost in the last half-century because of over reliance
      on the conditional liberties offered by reliance on the car, but it goes on
      from there to offer a plethora of practical solutions and advice on the kind
      of holistic approach to government and partnerships with stakeholders that
      make creating cities for the 21st century both an inspiring dream that can
      focus the enthusiasm and the energy of citizens, politicians and
      professionals and an urgent reality.

      Simon Baddeley
      Inlogov, School of Public Policy
      University of Birmingham