Re: [carfree_cities] A strange bedfellow

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2006
      > Ian wrote:

      > Volvo trucks seem to be doing some interesting things.

      Well, as far as their buses go, Volvo is already on our side, right? They
      also do lots of biogas buses in Sweden.

      Then again, the buses could compete with trains for a decision about
      vehicle and infrastructure planning in the passenger area, and perhaps
      also in the freight area, with trucks vs. trains.

      Ideally these things are complementary. Buses feed trains when
      appropriate, and the same with trucks and trains. If they stopped
      competing for the same solutions, they and the regional train
      manufacturers could fire some of their marketing/sales staff, lobbyists,
      etc and lower prices, etc.

      The gas engines used in the biogas train in Sweden are made by Volvo,
      because they also sell engines separately.

      So perhaps Volvo Trucks might want to co-finance something regarding
      promotion or research. There are other companies doing similar things, of
      course.

      BRT/ITDP people or possibly me can get contacts.

      Aside from the wind generation thing, I know nothing about any good
      practice in manufacturing of Volvo. I assume it is at least "average",
      whatever that means, or possibly better.

      Do you have some concrete ideas, Ian? Regarding being directly involved in
      development of a carfree city, I assume they would have to be part of a
      tender process.

      - T

      Todd Edelman
      International Coordinator