Re: [carfree_cities] City+transport+social interaction analogies needed

  • Bling Williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 28, 2006
      Richard Risemberg <rickrise@...> wrote: On Mar 28, 2006, at 1:32 AM, Bling Williams wrote:

      > You also need input from disability groups. It seems people who
      > can't walk are often forgotten when it comes to transport and city
      > planning.
      > The Reclaim the Buses groups here in my city are campaigning for
      > better buses, cheaper fares etc but when I bought up access as only
      > 1% of the buses are wheelchair accessible there was an embreassed
      > silence.
      > Our local council abolished taxi tokens for disabled people but
      > we are now given a free bus pass. Can't actually get on the bus
      > though....
      What city is that? Here in LA every single bus has a wheelchair
      lift, and all the metro stops have either ramps (if they're surface
      stations) or elevators. If an elevator is broken MTA announces it
      both through loudspeakers well before the stop and on the LED
      signboards, and the drivers usually do too.

      I thought this was pretty much standard. Guess not.

      Slightly related, every bus has a bikerack too.

      Rick
      --

      Its Bristol in the UK. Only 1 route now has an accessible bus and its not every bus. Where I live we have at least 8 bus routes passing through and not one is accessible. By law they have to be accessible by 2016 (but by law all businesses had to be accessible by Oct 2004 and most of them aren't).
      We don;t have bike racks either :-(

      Shyrley