re: building a carfree city

  • Chris Holt
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 25, 2006
      I tend to agree with Joel on this one. I believe that if a district were to
      evolve into a carfree district through direct carfree initiatives, the many
      detractors and automobile sympathizers will try to justify the success of
      the district on other factors that may or may not have any relevance to the
      fact. People would look to any reason for it's success, rather than admit
      that it is because of the carfree design principles put in place.

      However, if a brand-spankin' new development/village/city were to be built
      utilizing the best human scaled carfree design principles, there could be
      little doubt that it was those elements that made the settlement a success.
      There is so much infrastructure and services that can be redeveloped smarter
      from scratch when the automobile element is eliminated, that I can see no
      better advertisement for re-examining our culture's dysfunctional
      relationship with the automobile than a successful new development.

      I fully expect all of us to continue in our local carfree efforts, though.
      When we're about ready to move to our carfree utopia, all of the
      neighbourhoods we leave behind may just be a little more liveable because of our efforts.

      Chris