RE: [carfree_cities] News

  • Ronald Dawson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2000
      Louis-Luc Le Guerrier wrote:
      >You're right. Earlier in the year, those autoholics of the South Shore made
      >pressure on the authorities to build another car bridge. But Quebec
      >government and AMT joined efforts to that new bus-towards-lightrail
      project.
      >Along with the new Montréal/St-Hilaire train line, that should prevent new
      >car bridge threat for a while, if not forever.

      In regards to road projects in the Montreal area extending Autoroute-30 from
      Chateauguay to Valleyfield would be some where around $530 million. Having
      commuter train service from Montreal to Valleyfield might be $100-200
      million. With the Montreal/St-Hilaire line(short term) service needs to be
      increased,(long term) extended to St-Hyacinthe and(longer term) electrified.

      >The fact Montréal is an island is an advantage; it's easier to make
      >infrastructures to transport people over water, than to transport people
      >with a metal/glass shell over water. More trains/metro/buses arriving
      >downtown each morning put more pedestrians in the streets, yeah! The
      >increasing number of pedestrians should discourage motorists to go
      downtown.
      >We should show them it's faster going on foot or on bike.

      At the following URL is a photo of one of the AMT's new F59PHI locomotives,
      it was built in London, Ontario. Below it is a photo of former Nightstar
      cars brought from Britain for Via Rail, these cars are going to be rebuilt
      here in Montreal. http://www3.sympatico.ca/traqcmuar/turbo.htm

      >Happy Canada Day for all Canadians, and let's tell our governments to start
      >solving the problem of cars before we lose our status of "country with the
      >highest life quality" because another country is doing better than us. I
      >hope all countries will race each other for that status by rehumanising
      >their cities.

      That's a good idea and may the most rehumanizing nation win. Dawson
    • Chris Barker
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2000
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2000
          http://www.enn.com/news/enn-stories/2000/07/07022000/fuelcellbike_14335.asp?P=1

          This may provide part of an answer.

          Martha

          Raising fuel taxes, to reduce demand
          > > and fund mass transit (and carfree city construction?), should become
          > > politically feasible once sufficient numbers of motorists can no longer
          > > afford to fill up. At what price per gallon will the average motorist
          > > give up?
        • Ronald Dawson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 3, 2000
            Chris Barker wrote:
            >Here in Boston, MA yesterday I walked about 10 miles with my wife and 3
            year
            >old in his stroller. Most of the locals had taken off for Cape Cod or the
            >beaches and mountains to the north. There were relatively few cars in the
            >city and loads of tourists on foot from all over the world. It was a great
            >afternoon at car free Fanueil Hall and other parts of Boston.

            Boston is a really nice city and Fanueil Hall is a great place to visit.
            http://www.faneuilhallmarketplace.com/news/news.htm
            Even thought Boston and Montreal are about 330 miles apart it's too bad that
            there isn't train service between our two cities. Dawson