The Long Emergency

  • ezeques
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2006
      http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/7203633/the_long_emergency

      And he's even missing something here. What's going to be the social
      and economic result of the environmental effect of the 5 billion
      people in the emerging markets increasing their consumption of
      resources even to a fraction of us in the developed world? And it's
      not just global warming with the oceans rising and a few feet of
      water in the costal cities. That's not really a big deal. It's a
      combination of all these things coming together. The lack of
      resources and resulting prices, the environmental effects including
      pollution and global warming.

      There are only about 1 billion people now who consume most of the
      world's resources. There are about 5 billion more who are working
      for the same things we have. That is China, India, Russia and
      Eastern Europe, the Middle East and South America. China and India
      are having some success and we are already seeing the pricing and
      environmental effects. So we already know the effects 1 billion
      people are having what happens when we multiply that by 5…or even 3
      or 4?

      This is also interesting:
      http://www.cargroup.org/pdfs/Alliance-Final.pdf

      Lee