RE: [carfree_cities] News

  • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1 8:28 PM

      You're right. Earlier in the year, those autoholics of the South Shore made
      pressure on the authorities to build another car bridge. But Quebec
      government and AMT joined efforts to that new bus-towards-lightrail project.
      Along with the new Montréal/St-Hilaire train line, that should prevent new
      car bridge threat for a while, if not forever.

      The fact Montréal is an island is an advantage; it's easier to make
      infrastructures to transport people over water, than to transport people
      with a metal/glass shell over water. More trains/metro/buses arriving
      downtown each morning put more pedestrians in the streets, yeah! The
      increasing number of pedestrians should discourage motorists to go downtown.
      We should show them it's faster going on foot or on bike.

      Happy Canada Day for all Canadians, and let's tell our governments to start
      solving the problem of cars before we lose our status of "country with the
      highest life quality" because another country is doing better than us. I
      hope all countries will race each other for that status by rehumanising
      their cities.

      Louis-Luc
    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2 2:08 AM
        Louis-Luc Le Guerrier wrote:
        >You're right. Earlier in the year, those autoholics of the South Shore made
        >pressure on the authorities to build another car bridge. But Quebec
        >government and AMT joined efforts to that new bus-towards-lightrail
        project.
        >Along with the new Montréal/St-Hilaire train line, that should prevent new
        >car bridge threat for a while, if not forever.

        In regards to road projects in the Montreal area extending Autoroute-30 from
        Chateauguay to Valleyfield would be some where around $530 million. Having
        commuter train service from Montreal to Valleyfield might be $100-200
        million. With the Montreal/St-Hilaire line(short term) service needs to be
        increased,(long term) extended to St-Hyacinthe and(longer term) electrified.

        >The fact Montréal is an island is an advantage; it's easier to make
        >infrastructures to transport people over water, than to transport people
        >with a metal/glass shell over water. More trains/metro/buses arriving
        >downtown each morning put more pedestrians in the streets, yeah! The
        >increasing number of pedestrians should discourage motorists to go
        downtown.
        >We should show them it's faster going on foot or on bike.

        At the following URL is a photo of one of the AMT's new F59PHI locomotives,
        it was built in London, Ontario. Below it is a photo of former Nightstar
        cars brought from Britain for Via Rail, these cars are going to be rebuilt
        here in Montreal. http://www3.sympatico.ca/traqcmuar/turbo.htm

        >Happy Canada Day for all Canadians, and let's tell our governments to start
        >solving the problem of cars before we lose our status of "country with the
        >highest life quality" because another country is doing better than us. I
        >hope all countries will race each other for that status by rehumanising
        >their cities.

        That's a good idea and may the most rehumanizing nation win. Dawson
      • Chris Barker
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3 5:06 AM
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 3 11:06 AM
            http://www.enn.com/news/enn-stories/2000/07/07022000/fuelcellbike_14335.asp?P=1

            This may provide part of an answer.

            Martha

            Raising fuel taxes, to reduce demand
            > > and fund mass transit (and carfree city construction?), should become
            > > politically feasible once sufficient numbers of motorists can no longer
            > > afford to fill up. At what price per gallon will the average motorist
            > > give up?
          • Ronald Dawson
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 3 1:28 PM
              Chris Barker wrote:
              >Here in Boston, MA yesterday I walked about 10 miles with my wife and 3
              year
              >old in his stroller. Most of the locals had taken off for Cape Cod or the
              >beaches and mountains to the north. There were relatively few cars in the
              >city and loads of tourists on foot from all over the world. It was a great
              >afternoon at car free Fanueil Hall and other parts of Boston.

              Boston is a really nice city and Fanueil Hall is a great place to visit.
              http://www.faneuilhallmarketplace.com/news/news.htm
              Even thought Boston and Montreal are about 330 miles apart it's too bad that
              there isn't train service between our two cities. Dawson