Re: [carfree_cities] News

  • Martha Torell
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2000
      > 'Soaring Gas Prices' are here... hooray! I hear petrol is fetching
      > around five dollars a gallon in the U.K. Oh, how Americans will holler
      > when we hit THAT milestone.

      Here, on this list, I can admit to heresy -- hip, hip, hooray, for those
      spiking gas prices. The states' suspension of gasoline taxes won't last
      long. It sounded great to say it, lotsa political brownie points, but
      they will miss the revenue.

      > Funding for more trains?
      > 'Bush.... err, (sorry, I get them confused) 'Gore Offers $25 Billion for
      > Energy Efficient Transit':
      > http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/20000630/t000061782.html

      Energy efficient transport will have to be trains. The roads are
      growing ever more congested and no matter how wondrously efficient your
      car's engine is, if you are doing stop and go for miles, you will not
      have good energy efficiency.

      So for efficiency, look to forms of rail.

      Martha
    • Martha Torell
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2000
        > Champlain bridge, the most car-crowded bridge in Canada, is getting a
        > companion. The AMT (Metropolitan Transport Agency) is funding a special
        > middle space between the 2 directions, reserved for more buses, and I heard
        > that space will eventually be used for light rail. That's about time!

        The bus to light rail transition is very sensible, lanes reserved
        exclusively for bus use to see if the volume of traffic justifies rail,
        then rail. Such a test then build sequence will prevent failures that
        would give the autoholics a justification for building more lanes on
        expressways.

        Martha
      • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2000

          You're right. Earlier in the year, those autoholics of the South Shore made
          pressure on the authorities to build another car bridge. But Quebec
          government and AMT joined efforts to that new bus-towards-lightrail project.
          Along with the new Montréal/St-Hilaire train line, that should prevent new
          car bridge threat for a while, if not forever.

          The fact Montréal is an island is an advantage; it's easier to make
          infrastructures to transport people over water, than to transport people
          with a metal/glass shell over water. More trains/metro/buses arriving
          downtown each morning put more pedestrians in the streets, yeah! The
          increasing number of pedestrians should discourage motorists to go downtown.
          We should show them it's faster going on foot or on bike.

          Happy Canada Day for all Canadians, and let's tell our governments to start
          solving the problem of cars before we lose our status of "country with the
          highest life quality" because another country is doing better than us. I
          hope all countries will race each other for that status by rehumanising
          their cities.

          Louis-Luc
        • Ronald Dawson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2000
            Louis-Luc Le Guerrier wrote:
            >You're right. Earlier in the year, those autoholics of the South Shore made
            >pressure on the authorities to build another car bridge. But Quebec
            >government and AMT joined efforts to that new bus-towards-lightrail
            project.
            >Along with the new Montréal/St-Hilaire train line, that should prevent new
            >car bridge threat for a while, if not forever.

            In regards to road projects in the Montreal area extending Autoroute-30 from
            Chateauguay to Valleyfield would be some where around $530 million. Having
            commuter train service from Montreal to Valleyfield might be $100-200
            million. With the Montreal/St-Hilaire line(short term) service needs to be
            increased,(long term) extended to St-Hyacinthe and(longer term) electrified.

            >The fact Montréal is an island is an advantage; it's easier to make
            >infrastructures to transport people over water, than to transport people
            >with a metal/glass shell over water. More trains/metro/buses arriving
            >downtown each morning put more pedestrians in the streets, yeah! The
            >increasing number of pedestrians should discourage motorists to go
            downtown.
            >We should show them it's faster going on foot or on bike.

            At the following URL is a photo of one of the AMT's new F59PHI locomotives,
            it was built in London, Ontario. Below it is a photo of former Nightstar
            cars brought from Britain for Via Rail, these cars are going to be rebuilt
            here in Montreal. http://www3.sympatico.ca/traqcmuar/turbo.htm

            >Happy Canada Day for all Canadians, and let's tell our governments to start
            >solving the problem of cars before we lose our status of "country with the
            >highest life quality" because another country is doing better than us. I
            >hope all countries will race each other for that status by rehumanising
            >their cities.

            That's a good idea and may the most rehumanizing nation win. Dawson
          • Chris Barker
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 3, 2000
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 3, 2000
                http://www.enn.com/news/enn-stories/2000/07/07022000/fuelcellbike_14335.asp?P=1

                This may provide part of an answer.

                Martha

                Raising fuel taxes, to reduce demand
                > > and fund mass transit (and carfree city construction?), should become
                > > politically feasible once sufficient numbers of motorists can no longer
                > > afford to fill up. At what price per gallon will the average motorist
                > > give up?
              • Ronald Dawson
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 3, 2000
                  Chris Barker wrote:
                  >Here in Boston, MA yesterday I walked about 10 miles with my wife and 3
                  year
                  >old in his stroller. Most of the locals had taken off for Cape Cod or the
                  >beaches and mountains to the north. There were relatively few cars in the
                  >city and loads of tourists on foot from all over the world. It was a great
                  >afternoon at car free Fanueil Hall and other parts of Boston.

                  Boston is a really nice city and Fanueil Hall is a great place to visit.
                  http://www.faneuilhallmarketplace.com/news/news.htm
                  Even thought Boston and Montreal are about 330 miles apart it's too bad that
                  there isn't train service between our two cities. Dawson