RE: [carfree_cities] Taurus vs civic gets the boot

  • Brett Breitwieser
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7 10:17 AM
      I think it could be said that Phoenix is extremely car-centric...
      suburban sprawl (Phoenix is now the 7th most populous city in the USA)...
      completely designed around the auto and the freeway.

      But there are some redeeming feautures.
      First there are extensive bikepaths that parallel the 1000 year old canal
      system.
      (Thank-you Hohokam Indians!)
      Secondly, Phoenix is modeled after the desert: endless repetitions of the
      same
      pattern: the same fast-food joints, discount stores, Starbucks coffee shops,
      banks,
      groceries stores every 10 miles or so....

      This means that as the car-based system breaks down, or individuals choose
      to go
      carfree, they have good facilities within easy reach....

      The suburban sprawl can be made to break down into an endless array of local
      villages...

      Hope for the future...

      Brett