RE: [carfree_cities] News

  • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2000

      > Hi Everyone,
      >
      > 'Soaring Gas Prices' are here... hooray! I hear petrol is fetching
      Good news! The gas prices have risen up to around 80 cents a litre in Quebec
      this spring. So that means this floor price is gained now.

      > Indiana and Illinois have suspended their state gas taxes to
      > give those
      > poor, helpless motorists a break. Raising fuel taxes, to
      > reduce demand
      > and fund mass transit (and carfree city construction?), should become
      > politically feasible once sufficient numbers of motorists can
      > no longer
      > afford to fill up. At what price per gallon will the average motorist
      > give up?

      I'm just awaiting gas prices to reach $1.00 a litre,and at that magical
      number we should convert more motorists to human or public transportation.
      When gas litre costs more than milk litre, I guess we'll be on the way to a
      critical mass of people quitting car dependance and it will become easier to
      make more carfree places and bike roads.

      You can go fast by bike, and even faster if there are less cars in your way.
      I hope governments will become aware of that soon.

      > Here's another good reason to remove cars from cities
      > altogether: Even
      > in walkable cities, with high numbers of highly visible
      > pedestrians all
      > over town, increasingly irate motorists still can't behave
      > responsibly:
      > http://www.latimes.com/news/state/20000626/t000060448.html

      I read it, and that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. We MUST do something,
      that's a matter of survival for the human race.

      > Funding for more trains?
      > 'Bush.... err, (sorry, I get them confused) 'Gore Offers $25
      > Billion for
      > Energy Efficient Transit':
      > http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/20000630/t000061782.html

      Champlain bridge, the most car-crowded bridge in Canada, is getting a
      companion. The AMT (Metropolitan Transport Agency) is funding a special
      middle space between the 2 directions, reserved for more buses, and I heard
      that space will eventually be used for light rail. That's about time!

      I'm not totally sure, so Ronald, you may correct me or give more details if
      needed.

      Louis-Luc
    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2000
        Todd J. Binkley wrote:
        >Funding for more trains?
        >'Bush.... err, (sorry, I get them confused) 'Gore Offers $25 Billion for
        >Energy Efficient Transit':
        > http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/20000630/t000061782.html

        Some members of the GOP, like Gov. Thompson(R) of Wisconsin know that
        increased funding to transit is needed. Dawson
        http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29485-2000Jun30.html

        Also check out. http://www.trolleycar.org/
      • Ronald Dawson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2000
          Louis-Luc Le Guerrier wrote:
          >The Champlain bridge, the most car-crowded bridge in Canada, is getting a
          >companion. The AMT (Metropolitan Transport Agency) is funding a special
          >middle space between the 2 directions, reserved for more buses, and I heard
          >that space will eventually be used for light rail. That's about time!

          >I'm not totally sure, so Ronald, you may correct me or give more details if
          >needed.

          Oh, for what I've heard is that the possible routing for a Montreal to South
          Shore LRT would be use of the neighbouring Ice Bridge (Estacade du Pont
          Champlain), but things might have changed.
          Right now on the Champlain Bridge there are the time of day bus lanes, could
          these be changing to all day bus lanes? http://www.amt.qc.ca/ Dawson
        • dcxxtbemq
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2005
            Take advantage of better interest rates, refinance now just like I did, it will save you lots of money each month. This free service can help. http://allapprovelender.com take 30 seconds and fill out this free form