Main myth of the hybrid car - ADDENDUM

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2006
      Hi again,

      Some of the summaries/excerpts of Brown's new book "Plan B 2.0" relevant
      to my main argument-query in previous email are:

      THE ECOLOGY OF CITIES
      From Chapter 11. Designing Sustainable Cities
      <http://www.earth-policy.org/Books/PB2/PB2ch11_ss2.htm>

      REDESIGNING URBAN TRANSPORT
      From Chapter 11. Designing Sustainable Cities
      <http://www.earth-policy.org/Books/PB2/PB2ch11_ss3.htm>

      HYBRID CARS AND WIND POWER
      From Chapter 10. Stabilizing Climate
      <http://www.earth-policy.org/Books/PB2/PB2ch10_ss4.htm>

      (There is lots on peak-oil, etc, in other chapters.. see
      <http://www.earth-policy.org/Books/PB2/Contents.htm>)

      The first two excerpts are good - and it is hard to tell if they are vague
      as they are only excerpts - and "Ecology of Cities" includes lots of stuff
      by our friend Richard Register... and he says good things about Bus Rapid
      Transport... but the last "Hybrid Cars..." is a real mess, I think. By
      itself, it is nutty (and I am being nice): "...No change in the number of
      vehicles, no change in miles driven—just doing it with the most
      efficient propulsion technology on the market..." but in aggregate, in the
      context of the other two chapters (or what we can see about them on the
      website), it seems contradictory and, therefore, confusing, partly because
      of all of the main "why cars are bad" arguments: Bike more, ride PT, drive
      just as much!

      Are they trying to be diplomatic, (or) is this possible philosophical
      schizophrenia a result of being in the USA or in D.C.?

      This book is meant to be a guide, not just a grab-bag of various strategies.

      So... the book has already been written, and delivered to HQ in a Diesel
      truck <http://www.earth-policy.org/About/planb2_1.jpg>, but Mr. Brown and
      staff are travelling everywhere spreading its views, so we really ought to
      see what we can do to finesse his vision a bit, eh?

      - T

      Todd Edelman
      International Coordinator
      On the Train Towards the Future!