Re: Efficiency and the automobile

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 4 7:30 PM
      I like the idea of an e-stop button. Same idea as e-stop buttons in gas stations and shop
      rooms--allow someone to hit a mushroom button to stop a dangerous situation. It would
      allow for hijacking, but on the other hand, a lack of e-stop buttons would not stop a
      determined hijacker.

      However, I suspect that vehicle hijacking would not be a problem in Joel's reference city,
      since there would be eyes on the street--you could safely walk around at 0400 if you
      wanted. As for armored cash deliveries, there's metro-freight, and seeing that armored
      trucks typically aren't robbed while waiting a few minutes at a red light or in heavy traffic, I
      doubt that an [electric] armored truck would be vulnerable moving down a carfree street at
      3 mph. (How is cash delivered to ATMs in Venice?)

      What would the restrictions be on walk-behind electric trucks in a carfree city? I'm
      primarily thinking of electric pallet trucks for moving extremely shipping pallets at 3 mph.

      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 5 2:35 AM
        >As for armored cash deliveries, there's metro-freight, and
        >seeing that armored
        >trucks typically aren't robbed while waiting a few minutes at a red
        >light or in heavy traffic, I
        >doubt that an [electric] armored truck would be vulnerable moving down
        >a carfree street at
        >3 mph.

        Just put the armored cash-carriers on metro-freight
        (then the banks must be located on the central boulevard,
        but that's no serious problem).

        >(How is cash delivered to ATMs in Venice?)

        No idea. Anyone?

        >What would the restrictions be on walk-behind electric trucks in a
        >carfree city? I'm
        >primarily thinking of electric pallet trucks for moving extremely
        >shipping pallets at 3 mph.

        It would be nearly impossible to get along without
        these, or something very similar.

        ----- ### -----
      • Brett Breitwieser
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 5 12:37 PM
          >(How is cash delivered to ATMs in Venice?)

          Use electron-based transactions (debit cards, etc) instead. All money is is
          information. No need for heavy and burdonsome exteranl symbols like cash and
          coin.
          Or the neo-ludites can barter.

          Brett
        • Matt Hohmeister
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 5 12:43 PM
            Here's an interesting policy idea for a carfree city: allow electric vehicles on the condition that
            they are being escorted by a pedestrian. This is seen today in large home-improvement
            stores, where an employee walks in front of an oncoming forklift to clear the area. I can't
            imagine a escorted forklift moving 3 mph being a danger. This would also allow for walk-
            behind trucks carrying heavy or large shipments.

            Since the streets in a carfree city would be wider than the sidewalks we're used to, we'd
            actually be more flexible with deliveries. If a family is moving and a 20*8 foot trailer is
            parked on the edge 30' wide street for a whole day, there's still plenty of space for the
            pedestrian and bicycle traffic. Ideally, this should be arranged in advance with whatever
            authority is in charge of the streets, so they can cone-off an area in advance.

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 6 7:15 PM
              I have to give that a big, fat "no". I'm huge on privacy and love how cash lets me buy
              products in relative anonymity in an era of data mining. My classic example is that a
              relative gives you money to buy them cigarettes, you buy them with your debit card, and
              you soon get letters stating that your health insurance and home fire insurance rates are
              going up. I don't smoke and hate smoking, but you get the point.

              Among other reasons, that's one of my reasons to appreciate rail transportation:
              anonymity. My wife and I recently went to southern NJ: our Delta flight from Tallahassee to
              Philadelphia required photo ID and tickets in our names. But the NJT bus route winding
              through the small towns in south Jersey? I bought those tickets with cash and no ID. Thus,
              there exists no record that we ever made that trip--and that's the way I want it.

              When I was in Madrid in 1999, I bought a round-trip high-speed rail ticket to Sevilla with
              cash. Again, no record that I ever made that trip--just record that the trip was made by
              someone. Haven't been to Europe since 9/11, though, so I'm not sure if they require ID for
              inter-city today.

              Joel's reference carfree city would have no metro fare gates--it would be a public service,
              just like streets and streetlights. That also means that there will exist no record of your
              travel through a carfree city. Granted, the metro authority will probably track usage
              numbers to fine-tune service intervals and train lengths, but that's not a privacy concern.

              In an auto-centric city, you drive around with an ID number attached to your rear end
              (license plate). Anyone who sees your car can write down the license plate number and
              find out a good bit about you. Carfree city? Forget it--you'd have to take pictures and
              match up the faces with ID cards. A bit harder than looking up license plate numbers,
              especially since electronic facial recognition seems to be far from mature.

              I don't like being tracked. Rant over. :-)

              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 7 1:18 AM
                Hi Matt,

                Good post. Can you shorten your lines by about 40% so the wrap nicely?
                Around 80 characters?

                Thanks,

                Joel

                ----- ### -----
              • Todd Edelman
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 7 6:01 AM
                  Joel wrote: How is cash delivered to ATMs in Venice?

                  Hey I have an idea in between carrying around salt tablets and having
                  yourself chipped so ATM can read your identity but it is not about carfree
                  so if you want to discuss please email me OFFLIST.

                  - T

                  Todd Edelman
                  International Coordinator
                  On the Train Towards the Future!

                  Green Idea Factory
                  Laubova 5
                  CZ-13000 Praha 3

                  ++420 605 915 970

                  edelman@...
                  http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

                  Green Idea Factory,
                  a member of World Carfree Network
                • Matt Hohmeister
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 7 2:34 PM
                    I apologize for the long lines. After a quick check, I found that
                    Firefox for Mac OS X uses Courier for its text entry boxes, making the
                    lines shorter in terms of the number of characters. Safari uses a

                    I hate needing so many browsers. There are sites that work best in
                    Safari for Mac, Firefox for Mac, Firefox for Windows, AND IE for
                    Windows. So I really can't standardize on one true browser, despite my
                    love of Safari. :-(

                    Now for the tie-in: almost reminds me of people who collect cars, and
                    I don't mean for display. Sedan for driving to work, SUV for shopping,
                    and sports car for going out.

                    I live three blocks from a Budget rental station, and I go there every
                    once in a while if I'm hauling a huge load and actually need the space
                    offered by a van. When my car gives up the ghost, I'm seriously
                    considering paring us down to only my wife's car. We're seldom out at
                    the same time, and for the occasional need for a car, I can run down
                    the street and rent a car. Even if I rent a car twice a month and
                    spend $100 renting cars, it'll be far cheaper than owning a second car.

                    I have a feeling that a modern carfree city will have a significant
                    niche market for the rental of electric walk-behind trucks, either
                    just the truck or the truck with an operator.

                    In any case, since families won't have $40,000 of debt in their
                    garages, they'll easily be able to afford very high quality hand
                    trucks for day-to-day needs with moving equipment. :-)

                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > >numbers to fine-tune service intervals and train lengths, but that's
                    > >not a privacy concern.
                    > >
                    > >In an auto-centric city, you drive around with an ID number attached
                    > >to your rear end
                    > >(license plate). Anyone who sees your car can write down the license
                    > >plate number and
                    > >find out a good bit about you. Carfree city? Forget it--you'd have to
                    > >take pictures and
                    > >match up the faces with ID cards. A bit harder than looking up license
                    > >plate numbers,
                    > >especially since electronic facial recognition seems to be far from
                    mature.

                    > >I don't like being tracked. Rant over. :-)

                    > >> Use electron-based transactions (debit cards, etc) instead. All
                    money is is
                    > >> information. No need for heavy and burdonsome exteranl symbols

                  • Todd Edelman
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 7 3:36 PM
                      Matt wrote:

                      ...I hate needing so many browsers...

                      T: I wonder if future energy shortages will make manufacturers create a
                      more standardised system and platform. The "PCC streetcar" of
                      computers....

                      ---

                      ....almost reminds me of people who collect cars...

                      T: Lots of cyclists in the USA especially have several bikes, too and not
                      just for sport. In the Netherlands it is very common for one person to
                      have two bikes (one is for city and one for home town; both are locked in
                      front of train stations - this is easier if you only need two one-speed
                      bikes). Of course it takes 5 or 6 people who use this system to take up
                      the space of one parked car, but Dutch are trying to reduce need for so
                      many bikes with things like <http://www.ov-fiets.nl/engels/index.html>.

                      ---

                      .... I have a feeling that a modern carfree city will have a significant
                      > niche market for the rental of electric walk-behind trucks...

                      T: Forget "niche market", brother: Think "huge market for standardised
                      walk behind trucks". Buy the stock now and give me a percentage later.

                      ---
                      > In any case, since families won't have $40,000 of debt in their
                      > garages, they'll easily be able to afford very high quality hand
                      > trucks for day-to-day needs with moving equipment. :-)

                      T: Hmmm.. what will be the "Mercedes of hand trucks"? Other likelihood is
                      that teenagers and other not yet skilled people will be hired to to
                      delivery again. I think there is a huge possibility for
                      ultracapacitor-powered robot-handtrucks, too, using GPS, Galileo: You just
                      speak your address into it (e.g. "1000 Pennsylvania Carfree Avenue*,
                      please"), and it goes there at walking speed, and teenagers etc are
                      dispatched to take stuff into building. This leaves you free time to help
                      all cities have systems like this.

                      * Address of White House in USA

                      Todd Edelman
                      International Coordinator
                      On the Train Towards the Future! -
                      "Sustainable, complementary, appropriate mobility in & in-between carfree
                      communities"

                      Green Idea Factory
                      Laubova 5
                      CZ-13000 Praha 3

                      ++420 605 915 970

                      edelman@...
                      http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

                      Green Idea Factory,
                      a proud member of World Carfree Network
                    • Robert Madison
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 7 4:36 PM
                        on 2006-Mar-07 17:36 Todd Edelman said the following:
                        > (e.g. "1000 Pennsylvania Carfree Avenue*,
                        > please")
                        >
                        > * Address of White House in USA

                        Actually, it's 1600.

                        --
                        Robert Madison
                        Milwaukee, WI

                        http://community.webshots.com/user/rmadisonwi
                        This message was composed using Mozilla Thunderbird

                        "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                      • Sean Brooks
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 7 4:42 PM
                          Point of order: the address of the White House is 1700 Pennsylvania Ave NW,
                          and it's carfree.

                          I work as a firefighter in the District of Columbia (the capital city of the
                          US). Today, as part of training on the hazards of Hydrogen storage & use
                          (DC has the only commercial Hydrogen station in the US) I drove a hydrogen
                          fuel cell vehicle. While the version I drove was, in fact, a car, the
                          powerplant itself, or a much smaller version, would be an excellent motor
                          for freight movement within a car-free district. With cryogenic storage of
                          hydrogen, or even high pressure storage, the hazards associated with
                          Hydrogen are less than or equal to other energy storage media. The plant
                          itself is small, light, very very quiet, and only exhausts water vapor.

                          Note that hydrogen is not an energy source, rather, it is an energy storage
                          medium.

                        • Todd Edelman
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 7 6:39 PM
                            > on 2006-Mar-07 Robert Madison said the following:

                            > Actually, it's 1600.

                            T: Ooops. The 1000 number is correct but I meant to say "NEW White House":
                            The old one at 1600 is converted to restaurant and visitor centre for
                            outdoor Smithsonian exhibit on grounds around White House building:
                            "Museum of the Former Automobile Age"