Re: [carfree_cities] News

  • Doug Salzmann
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2000
      T.J. wrote:

      > 'Soaring Gas Prices' are here... hooray!

      Hooray, indeed.

      Auto fuel is, of course, not the only energy product for which prices are
      soaring. Here's an MSNBC story that reminds us that "Pain goes beyond the
      gas pump."

      http://www.msnbc.com/news/427562.asp

      In fact, cheap oil energy is a major component of virtually every element of
      modern life, from food to clothing, to heating and air conditioning. In a
      world with six billion (and counting) humans and rapidly developing
      permanent energy shortages, a great many things are about to change. It is
      likely that wealthy nations in the developed world will need to reduce
      energy consumption by rather large per-capita percentages..

      Seen in that light, the natural efficiencies of compact, mixed-use carfree
      cities (where much transportation is fueled by the same veggies that power
      the local human biocumputers, and products and services are produced near
      the places they are used), will be especially critical.

      -Doug
    • Martha Torell
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2000
        > 'Soaring Gas Prices' are here... hooray! I hear petrol is fetching
        > around five dollars a gallon in the U.K. Oh, how Americans will holler
        > when we hit THAT milestone.

        Here, on this list, I can admit to heresy -- hip, hip, hooray, for those
        spiking gas prices. The states' suspension of gasoline taxes won't last
        long. It sounded great to say it, lotsa political brownie points, but
        they will miss the revenue.

        > Funding for more trains?
        > 'Bush.... err, (sorry, I get them confused) 'Gore Offers $25 Billion for
        > Energy Efficient Transit':
        > http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/20000630/t000061782.html

        Energy efficient transport will have to be trains. The roads are
        growing ever more congested and no matter how wondrously efficient your
        car's engine is, if you are doing stop and go for miles, you will not
        have good energy efficiency.

        So for efficiency, look to forms of rail.

        Martha
      • Martha Torell
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2000
          > Champlain bridge, the most car-crowded bridge in Canada, is getting a
          > companion. The AMT (Metropolitan Transport Agency) is funding a special
          > middle space between the 2 directions, reserved for more buses, and I heard
          > that space will eventually be used for light rail. That's about time!

          The bus to light rail transition is very sensible, lanes reserved
          exclusively for bus use to see if the volume of traffic justifies rail,
          then rail. Such a test then build sequence will prevent failures that
          would give the autoholics a justification for building more lanes on
          expressways.

          Martha
        • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2000

            You're right. Earlier in the year, those autoholics of the South Shore made
            pressure on the authorities to build another car bridge. But Quebec
            government and AMT joined efforts to that new bus-towards-lightrail project.
            Along with the new Montréal/St-Hilaire train line, that should prevent new
            car bridge threat for a while, if not forever.

            The fact Montréal is an island is an advantage; it's easier to make
            infrastructures to transport people over water, than to transport people
            with a metal/glass shell over water. More trains/metro/buses arriving
            downtown each morning put more pedestrians in the streets, yeah! The
            increasing number of pedestrians should discourage motorists to go downtown.
            We should show them it's faster going on foot or on bike.

            Happy Canada Day for all Canadians, and let's tell our governments to start
            solving the problem of cars before we lose our status of "country with the
            highest life quality" because another country is doing better than us. I
            hope all countries will race each other for that status by rehumanising
            their cities.

            Louis-Luc
          • Ronald Dawson
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2000
              Louis-Luc Le Guerrier wrote:
              >You're right. Earlier in the year, those autoholics of the South Shore made
              >pressure on the authorities to build another car bridge. But Quebec
              >government and AMT joined efforts to that new bus-towards-lightrail
              project.
              >Along with the new Montréal/St-Hilaire train line, that should prevent new
              >car bridge threat for a while, if not forever.

              In regards to road projects in the Montreal area extending Autoroute-30 from
              Chateauguay to Valleyfield would be some where around $530 million. Having
              commuter train service from Montreal to Valleyfield might be $100-200
              million. With the Montreal/St-Hilaire line(short term) service needs to be
              increased,(long term) extended to St-Hyacinthe and(longer term) electrified.

              >The fact Montréal is an island is an advantage; it's easier to make
              >infrastructures to transport people over water, than to transport people
              >with a metal/glass shell over water. More trains/metro/buses arriving
              >downtown each morning put more pedestrians in the streets, yeah! The
              >increasing number of pedestrians should discourage motorists to go
              downtown.
              >We should show them it's faster going on foot or on bike.

              At the following URL is a photo of one of the AMT's new F59PHI locomotives,
              it was built in London, Ontario. Below it is a photo of former Nightstar
              cars brought from Britain for Via Rail, these cars are going to be rebuilt
              here in Montreal. http://www3.sympatico.ca/traqcmuar/turbo.htm

              >Happy Canada Day for all Canadians, and let's tell our governments to start
              >solving the problem of cars before we lose our status of "country with the
              >highest life quality" because another country is doing better than us. I
              >hope all countries will race each other for that status by rehumanising
              >their cities.

              That's a good idea and may the most rehumanizing nation win. Dawson
            • Chris Barker
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 3, 2000
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 3, 2000
                  http://www.enn.com/news/enn-stories/2000/07/07022000/fuelcellbike_14335.asp?P=1

                  This may provide part of an answer.

                  Martha

                  Raising fuel taxes, to reduce demand
                  > > and fund mass transit (and carfree city construction?), should become
                  > > politically feasible once sufficient numbers of motorists can no longer
                  > > afford to fill up. At what price per gallon will the average motorist
                  > > give up?
                • Ronald Dawson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 3, 2000
                    Chris Barker wrote:
                    >Here in Boston, MA yesterday I walked about 10 miles with my wife and 3
                    year
                    >old in his stroller. Most of the locals had taken off for Cape Cod or the
                    >beaches and mountains to the north. There were relatively few cars in the
                    >city and loads of tourists on foot from all over the world. It was a great
                    >afternoon at car free Fanueil Hall and other parts of Boston.

                    Boston is a really nice city and Fanueil Hall is a great place to visit.
                    http://www.faneuilhallmarketplace.com/news/news.htm
                    Even thought Boston and Montreal are about 330 miles apart it's too bad that
                    there isn't train service between our two cities. Dawson