RE: [carfree_cities] Efficiency and the automobile

  • Bling Williams
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 4, 2006
      I don't know if a taxi is effiecient but they are necassary for some people to get around. Usually poeple who don't own cars and can't walk or use the bus.
      I use them myself.
      But short of culling the blind and disabled, I'm not sure we could dispense with a taxi like equivelent in our car free world.
      Unless rickshaws really took off as a business venture. I'd prefer a rickshaw. Pollution free and you get to watcha muscled beind ;-)

      Shyrley

      Jason Meggs <jmeggs@...> wrote:
      Um, perhaps this is not the list for this discussion although transitions
      to carfree cities will certainly deal with interfaces to the car-world (as
      in Crawford's book) even if there are completely carfree areas.

      So, a bit on taxis and "what is most efficient":

      1) A large part of the environmental cost of any car is its being built at
      all. Most cars sit idle most of the time, hogging lots of space, which is
      also grossly inefficient in myriad ways.

      2) In a busy city, it's likely many taxies are full most of the time.
      There must be studies of this if one wants details. Even if not, the
      industry can with regulation (if the market doesn't already regulate)
      reduce availability and fare search time until a least waste point is
      reached.

      3) A fleet of taxis is much smaller and more centralized than a fleet of
      private automobiles, so it's easier to ensure they're up to code and to
      introduce new fleets that are as energy efficient as possible (not that
      it's easy, just much more possible).

      4) Carsharing has many of these same advantages, and if one had to choose
      between the two, I would strongly expect carsharing to result in fewer
      cars actually in use, although there might be more in existence (sitting
      idle more often), depending on circumstance.

      Jason

      On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Joel Siegel wrote:

      >> I guess the only car that is actually efficient would be a taxi. Later,
      >> Andrew
      >>

      > What's efficient about a taxi, under the criteria used for the 'thought
      > experiment'? The payload-to-vehicle-weight ratio is about the same
      > (assuming one passenger plus the driver, who in this scenario doesn't
      > really count since s/he is not the person we're transporting, except as
      > the pilot of the vehicle). So is the efficiency of the engine (i.e. the
      > chemical reaction of combustion of gasoline/diesel into motive power).
      > Moreover, a taxi must drive an extra distance between fares, adding to
      > the inefficiencies.
      >
      > For that matter, under these criteria, what's efficient about a bus or a
      > train? The best one can say about these modes of transport is that they
      > are "less inefficient" than cars (including taxis).
      >
      > Joel [Siegel]

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 4, 2006
        >The change from totally auto centric to totally carfree is going to have to
        >happen in stages. I can't see any other way than by increasing step by step
        >the amount of carfree pedestrian space, one or two streets at a time, whilst
        >at the same time the total amount of traffic in the rest of the city is both
        >calmed and reduced. The taxi can play a key role in this transitional
        >period.

        Actually, if anyone would READ Carfree Cities, they would have
        noticed that I said:

        1. Taxi drivers are among the most dangerous and aggressive
        2. I would like to get rid of taxis entirely
        3. I don't, in fact, think that this is possible
        4. Taxis should be tiny, battery powered, and speed limited
        5. The fares should be outrageously high

        Zermatt is carfree, but it does have some electric taxis
        that largely fill the requirements I have proposed. Their
        drivers, however, are still aggressive enough to be
        dangerous and annoying. One solution is to put an e-stop
        switch on all corners of the vehicle. Anyone in the street
        can slap it, bringing the taxi to an abrupt halt until
        the driver gets out, gets told off by the annoyed pedestrian,
        pulls out the e-stop switch, and drives on. It MIGHT work.
        Then again, taxi drivers are taxi drivers--about half of
        them are bastards, the world around.

        Pedal-powered taxis may be the only workable alternative.

        Regards,

        ----- ### -----
      • Ian Fiddies
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 4, 2006
          > 1. Taxi drivers are among the most dangerous and aggressive
          > Then again, taxi drivers are taxi drivers--about half of
          > them are bastards, the world around.
          >
          > Pedal-powered taxis may be the only workable alternative.

          I think this is a touch unfair. Yes taxi drivers are aggressive, I've cycled
          in enough cites to have a lot of personal experience. Cycle couriers I've
          noticed tend to be a bit on the hard side as well. The only time I've ever
          experienced gridlock was in Varanasi and caused by aggressive rickshaw
          riders refusing to give way and getting the back wheels locked. I would
          suggest that taxi drivers and cycle couriers become aggressive because of
          their working environment. I personally cannot remember the last time I
          verbally abused anyone that wasn't in some way connected with them trying to
          kill me, someone standing near me or my dog, with their car/taxi/bus/bike.

          Taxi drivers are aggressive for exactly the same reason that we are
          proponents of carfree living. They're not all bastards some of them just
          lack our insight and eloquence but I'm 100% sure that they're pissed off at
          the same thing as we are.

          I like the idea about the yellow button. My favourite while cycling is
          slamming my open palm on the roof of the car that just tried to kill me. It
          makes a wonderful noise.

          Ian Fiddies
        • Brett Breitwieser
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 4, 2006
            Are taxis actually being advocated as an alternative to cars?
            I thought taxis WERE cars, just a car driven by someone else?

            Brett
          • Brett Breitwieser
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 4, 2006
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 4, 2006
                I like the idea of an e-stop button. Same idea as e-stop buttons in gas stations and shop
                rooms--allow someone to hit a mushroom button to stop a dangerous situation. It would
                allow for hijacking, but on the other hand, a lack of e-stop buttons would not stop a
                determined hijacker.

                However, I suspect that vehicle hijacking would not be a problem in Joel's reference city,
                since there would be eyes on the street--you could safely walk around at 0400 if you
                wanted. As for armored cash deliveries, there's metro-freight, and seeing that armored
                trucks typically aren't robbed while waiting a few minutes at a red light or in heavy traffic, I
                doubt that an [electric] armored truck would be vulnerable moving down a carfree street at
                3 mph. (How is cash delivered to ATMs in Venice?)

                What would the restrictions be on walk-behind electric trucks in a carfree city? I'm
                primarily thinking of electric pallet trucks for moving extremely shipping pallets at 3 mph.

                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 5, 2006
                  >As for armored cash deliveries, there's metro-freight, and
                  >seeing that armored
                  >trucks typically aren't robbed while waiting a few minutes at a red
                  >light or in heavy traffic, I
                  >doubt that an [electric] armored truck would be vulnerable moving down
                  >a carfree street at
                  >3 mph.

                  Just put the armored cash-carriers on metro-freight
                  (then the banks must be located on the central boulevard,
                  but that's no serious problem).

                  >(How is cash delivered to ATMs in Venice?)

                  No idea. Anyone?

                  >What would the restrictions be on walk-behind electric trucks in a
                  >carfree city? I'm
                  >primarily thinking of electric pallet trucks for moving extremely
                  >shipping pallets at 3 mph.

                  It would be nearly impossible to get along without
                  these, or something very similar.

                  ----- ### -----
                • Brett Breitwieser
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 5, 2006
                    >(How is cash delivered to ATMs in Venice?)

                    Use electron-based transactions (debit cards, etc) instead. All money is is
                    information. No need for heavy and burdonsome exteranl symbols like cash and
                    coin.
                    Or the neo-ludites can barter.

                    Brett
                  • Matt Hohmeister
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 5, 2006
                      Here's an interesting policy idea for a carfree city: allow electric vehicles on the condition that
                      they are being escorted by a pedestrian. This is seen today in large home-improvement
                      stores, where an employee walks in front of an oncoming forklift to clear the area. I can't
                      imagine a escorted forklift moving 3 mph being a danger. This would also allow for walk-
                      behind trucks carrying heavy or large shipments.

                      Since the streets in a carfree city would be wider than the sidewalks we're used to, we'd
                      actually be more flexible with deliveries. If a family is moving and a 20*8 foot trailer is
                      parked on the edge 30' wide street for a whole day, there's still plenty of space for the
                      pedestrian and bicycle traffic. Ideally, this should be arranged in advance with whatever
                      authority is in charge of the streets, so they can cone-off an area in advance.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 6, 2006
                        I have to give that a big, fat "no". I'm huge on privacy and love how cash lets me buy
                        products in relative anonymity in an era of data mining. My classic example is that a
                        relative gives you money to buy them cigarettes, you buy them with your debit card, and
                        you soon get letters stating that your health insurance and home fire insurance rates are
                        going up. I don't smoke and hate smoking, but you get the point.

                        Among other reasons, that's one of my reasons to appreciate rail transportation:
                        anonymity. My wife and I recently went to southern NJ: our Delta flight from Tallahassee to
                        Philadelphia required photo ID and tickets in our names. But the NJT bus route winding
                        through the small towns in south Jersey? I bought those tickets with cash and no ID. Thus,
                        there exists no record that we ever made that trip--and that's the way I want it.

                        When I was in Madrid in 1999, I bought a round-trip high-speed rail ticket to Sevilla with
                        cash. Again, no record that I ever made that trip--just record that the trip was made by
                        someone. Haven't been to Europe since 9/11, though, so I'm not sure if they require ID for
                        inter-city today.

                        Joel's reference carfree city would have no metro fare gates--it would be a public service,
                        just like streets and streetlights. That also means that there will exist no record of your
                        travel through a carfree city. Granted, the metro authority will probably track usage
                        numbers to fine-tune service intervals and train lengths, but that's not a privacy concern.

                        In an auto-centric city, you drive around with an ID number attached to your rear end
                        (license plate). Anyone who sees your car can write down the license plate number and
                        find out a good bit about you. Carfree city? Forget it--you'd have to take pictures and
                        match up the faces with ID cards. A bit harder than looking up license plate numbers,
                        especially since electronic facial recognition seems to be far from mature.

                        I don't like being tracked. Rant over. :-)

                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 7, 2006
                          Hi Matt,

                          Good post. Can you shorten your lines by about 40% so the wrap nicely?
                          Around 80 characters?

                          Thanks,

                          Joel

                          ----- ### -----
                        • Todd Edelman
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 7, 2006
                            Joel wrote: How is cash delivered to ATMs in Venice?

                            Hey I have an idea in between carrying around salt tablets and having
                            yourself chipped so ATM can read your identity but it is not about carfree
                            so if you want to discuss please email me OFFLIST.

                            - T

                            Todd Edelman
                            International Coordinator
                            On the Train Towards the Future!

                            Green Idea Factory
                            Laubova 5
                            CZ-13000 Praha 3

                            ++420 605 915 970

                            edelman@...
                            http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

                            Green Idea Factory,
                            a member of World Carfree Network
                          • Matt Hohmeister
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 7, 2006
                              I apologize for the long lines. After a quick check, I found that
                              Firefox for Mac OS X uses Courier for its text entry boxes, making the
                              lines shorter in terms of the number of characters. Safari uses a

                              I hate needing so many browsers. There are sites that work best in
                              Safari for Mac, Firefox for Mac, Firefox for Windows, AND IE for
                              Windows. So I really can't standardize on one true browser, despite my
                              love of Safari. :-(

                              Now for the tie-in: almost reminds me of people who collect cars, and
                              I don't mean for display. Sedan for driving to work, SUV for shopping,
                              and sports car for going out.

                              I live three blocks from a Budget rental station, and I go there every
                              once in a while if I'm hauling a huge load and actually need the space
                              offered by a van. When my car gives up the ghost, I'm seriously
                              considering paring us down to only my wife's car. We're seldom out at
                              the same time, and for the occasional need for a car, I can run down
                              the street and rent a car. Even if I rent a car twice a month and
                              spend $100 renting cars, it'll be far cheaper than owning a second car.

                              I have a feeling that a modern carfree city will have a significant
                              niche market for the rental of electric walk-behind trucks, either
                              just the truck or the truck with an operator.

                              In any case, since families won't have $40,000 of debt in their
                              garages, they'll easily be able to afford very high quality hand
                              trucks for day-to-day needs with moving equipment. :-)

                              wrote:

> [...]
                              > >numbers to fine-tune service intervals and train lengths, but that's
                              > >not a privacy concern.
                              > >
                              > >In an auto-centric city, you drive around with an ID number attached
                              > >to your rear end
                              > >(license plate). Anyone who sees your car can write down the license
                              > >plate number and
                              > >find out a good bit about you. Carfree city? Forget it--you'd have to
                              > >take pictures and
                              > >match up the faces with ID cards. A bit harder than looking up license
                              > >plate numbers,
                              > >especially since electronic facial recognition seems to be far from
                              mature.

                              > >I don't like being tracked. Rant over. :-)

                              > >> Use electron-based transactions (debit cards, etc) instead. All
                              money is is
                              > >> information. No need for heavy and burdonsome exteranl symbols

                            • Todd Edelman
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 7, 2006
                                Matt wrote:

                                ...I hate needing so many browsers...

                                T: I wonder if future energy shortages will make manufacturers create a
                                more standardised system and platform. The "PCC streetcar" of
                                computers....

                                ---

                                ....almost reminds me of people who collect cars...

                                T: Lots of cyclists in the USA especially have several bikes, too and not
                                just for sport. In the Netherlands it is very common for one person to
                                have two bikes (one is for city and one for home town; both are locked in
                                front of train stations - this is easier if you only need two one-speed
                                bikes). Of course it takes 5 or 6 people who use this system to take up
                                the space of one parked car, but Dutch are trying to reduce need for so
                                many bikes with things like <http://www.ov-fiets.nl/engels/index.html>.

                                ---

                                .... I have a feeling that a modern carfree city will have a significant
                                > niche market for the rental of electric walk-behind trucks...

                                T: Forget "niche market", brother: Think "huge market for standardised
                                walk behind trucks". Buy the stock now and give me a percentage later.

                                ---
                                > In any case, since families won't have $40,000 of debt in their
                                > garages, they'll easily be able to afford very high quality hand
                                > trucks for day-to-day needs with moving equipment. :-)

                                T: Hmmm.. what will be the "Mercedes of hand trucks"? Other likelihood is
                                that teenagers and other not yet skilled people will be hired to to
                                delivery again. I think there is a huge possibility for
                                ultracapacitor-powered robot-handtrucks, too, using GPS, Galileo: You just
                                speak your address into it (e.g. "1000 Pennsylvania Carfree Avenue*,
                                please"), and it goes there at walking speed, and teenagers etc are
                                dispatched to take stuff into building. This leaves you free time to help
                                all cities have systems like this.

                                * Address of White House in USA

                                Todd Edelman
                                International Coordinator
                                On the Train Towards the Future! -
                                "Sustainable, complementary, appropriate mobility in & in-between carfree
                                communities"

                                Green Idea Factory
                                Laubova 5
                                CZ-13000 Praha 3

                                ++420 605 915 970

                                edelman@...
                                http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

                                Green Idea Factory,
                                a proud member of World Carfree Network
                              • Robert Madison
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 7, 2006
                                  on 2006-Mar-07 17:36 Todd Edelman said the following:
                                  > (e.g. "1000 Pennsylvania Carfree Avenue*,
                                  > please")
                                  >
                                  > * Address of White House in USA

                                  Actually, it's 1600.

                                  --
                                  Robert Madison
                                  Milwaukee, WI

                                  http://community.webshots.com/user/rmadisonwi
                                  This message was composed using Mozilla Thunderbird

                                  "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                • Sean Brooks
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 7, 2006
                                    Point of order: the address of the White House is 1700 Pennsylvania Ave NW,
                                    and it's carfree.

                                    I work as a firefighter in the District of Columbia (the capital city of the
                                    US). Today, as part of training on the hazards of Hydrogen storage & use
                                    (DC has the only commercial Hydrogen station in the US) I drove a hydrogen
                                    fuel cell vehicle. While the version I drove was, in fact, a car, the
                                    powerplant itself, or a much smaller version, would be an excellent motor
                                    for freight movement within a car-free district. With cryogenic storage of
                                    hydrogen, or even high pressure storage, the hazards associated with
                                    Hydrogen are less than or equal to other energy storage media. The plant
                                    itself is small, light, very very quiet, and only exhausts water vapor.

                                    Note that hydrogen is not an energy source, rather, it is an energy storage
                                    medium.

                                  • Todd Edelman
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 7, 2006
                                      > on 2006-Mar-07 Robert Madison said the following:

                                      > Actually, it's 1600.

                                      T: Ooops. The 1000 number is correct but I meant to say "NEW White House":
                                      The old one at 1600 is converted to restaurant and visitor centre for
                                      outdoor Smithsonian exhibit on grounds around White House building:
                                      "Museum of the Former Automobile Age"