Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Jaywalking is good for cities

  • Lloyd Wright
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
      One small suggestion regarding "naked streets". The person attributed with
      developing the idea, Hans Monderman, tends to use the term "shared space"
      rather than "naked streets". I think that "shared space" is probably a
      slightly more marketable name. I have also heard it called "post traffic
      calming" and "third-generation traffic calming". However, it seems that the
      people who have worked hard to make the concept a reality seem to prefer
      "shared space". There is a Wikipedia entry for shared space, if anyone is
      interested:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_space

      Best,

      Lloyd