RE: [carfree_cities] Re: Jaywalking is good for cities

  • Carlos F. Pardo SUTP
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
      "What is the origin of the word 'jaywalking'?
      Original source:
      http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutwordorigins/jaywalking

      The complete Oxford English Dictionary traces the word jaywalker back to
      1917 and labels it 'originally US'. There is a cross-reference to the word
      jay, which has a number of slang senses. The relevant one is 'a stupid or
      dull person, a simpleton. Also (as adjective) dull, unsophisticated;
      inferior, poor'. This is labelled 'US colloquial', and there is evidence of
      use from 1900. So persons who stupidly ignored traffic regulations were
      given (in Boston, it seems) this compact name."

      This is a great discussion. I think there must be other terms in the
      US-english strictly related to auto-centric views, which are not found in
      other languages. I fully agree with the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. Language
      constructs reality. Thanks for the comment!

      Best regards,

      Carlos F. Pardo

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
        carlos.pardo@... wrote:

        "... I fully agree with the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. Language
        > constructs reality..."

        Or does it really, CARlos...? ;-p

        - T

        Todd Edelman
        International Coordinator
        On the Train Towards the Future!

        Green Idea Factory
        Laubova 5
        CZ-13000 Praha 3

        ++420 605 915 970

        edelman@...
        http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

        Green Idea Factory,
        a member of World Carfree Network
      • Carlos F. Pardo SUTP
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
          Sorry for this quick email regarding my name's meaning... Once I was in a
          lunch in Thailand, and a guy told me that my name meant Car- loss... no more
          cars!

          Carlos F. Pardo

          "... I fully agree with the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. Language
          > constructs reality..."

          Or does it really, CARlos...? ;-p

          - T

          Todd Edelman
          International Coordinator
          On the Train Towards the Future!

          Green Idea Factory
          Laubova 5
          CZ-13000 Praha 3

          ++420 605 915 970

          edelman@...
          http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

          Green Idea Factory,
          a member of World Carfree Network

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Simon Baddeley
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
            The idea of segregation suggested here worries me, but then I am keen on the
            "naked street" as the next best to no cars at all.

            http://www.conwyctc.fsnet.co.uk/pages/safe_rds.htm

            Simon

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
              On Mar 3, 2006, at 4:41 AM, J.H. Crawford wrote:

              > It's important to be clear that jaywalking implies a violation
              > of a traffic law. If there are crosswalks, the law says you
              > are obliged to use them. If there are none, then you may
              > cross where you please, and you are therefore not jaywalking.
              In California, you may cross anywhere, crosswalk or not, UNLESS the
              street has signals at both ends of the block you're on, in which case
              you must use crosswalks.

              My street has such signals, but I jaywalk anyway. Every single day.

              Rick
              http://www.rickrise.com
              http://www.newcolonist.com
              http://www.living-room.org
            • Doug Salzmann
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
                > It's important to be clear that jaywalking implies a violation
                > of a traffic law. If there are crosswalks, the law says you
                > are obliged to use them. If there are none, then you may
                > cross where you please, and you are therefore not jaywalking.

                That's incorrect, at least in most North American jurisdictions.

                First, it is a common misconception that paint creates crosswalks. It
                does not.

                "Crosswalk" is typically defined as an extension of the sidewalk,
                shoulder, or whatever pedestrian R.O.W. there may be, across an
                intersection of roadways. The crosswalk thus exists, and the associated
                rights and obligations of pedestrians, drivers, etc. apply, whether it is
                marked (painted) or not.

                Second, mid-block crossings are generally perfectly legal, with the
                proviso that crossing pedestrians must yield to auto traffic before
                beginning to cross. The main exception is between two signalized
                (traffic-light controlled) intersections, where such crossings are
                usually prohibited.

                As this should make clear, "jaywalking" is pretty meaningless as a legal
                term.

                All of the foregoing is subject to the variable provisions of local
                ordinances, of course.

                > >And of course Jaywalking is good for cities, as recent studies have
                > >proven - after all is the best large scale traffic calming procedure.
                >
                > Well, the best large-scale traffic calming procedure is
                > to put up barriers to cars and keep them out entirely.

                Yes, indeed. And, THAT is the subject of this list, isn't it?

                -Doug
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
                  >This is a great discussion. I think there must be other terms in the
                  >US-english strictly related to auto-centric views, which are not found in
                  >other languages. I fully agree with the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. Language
                  >constructs reality. Thanks for the comment!

                  and reality constructs language

                  ----- ### -----
                • Simon Baddeley
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
                    So can I ask again whether you are comfortable with the Wikipedia entry on
                    "jaywalking"?:

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaywalking

                    It seems that it might be reasonable to edit in a few sentences at the end
                    of the paragraph headed "Driver cooperation" where reference might be made
                    to mutual cooperation among ALL road users as encouraged by "naked streets"
                    - and indeed give a link to examples of this idea which has behind it the
                    idea of no traffic exceeding 17mph in order to allow negotiation between
                    different road users via eye contact.

                    QUOTE: To disrobe a street, you remove all the conventional methods of
                    controlling vehicles and keeping them separate from pedestrians. Traffic
                    lights, barriers, signs, curbs, and pedestrian crossings are all taken out.
                    The idea behind it is to make the road space less predictable. Instead of
                    drivers being able to rely on road markings and charge along on the
                    assumption that pedestrians are all corralled safely out of the way, they
                    will have to continually interact with people, make decisions about how fast
                    to drive and generally take more responsibility for their actions. London is
                    trying the idea in Exhibition Road, Kensington, in which some of the
                    capital¹s biggest museums are sited. The idea sounds extraordinary, so much
                    so that the British tabloid newspaper the Sun wrote in an editorial: ³Have
                    you ever, in your whole life, heard of anything more stupid? Apparently the
                    idea was conceived in Holland, where everyone is on drugs and drives slowly
                    anyway.² It was indeed pioneered in the Netherlands, but by the soberest of
                    traffic planners, who claim success in significantly reducing accidents.

                    The concept of the naked street was spearheaded by the Netherlands, where
                    traffic lights and markings have been stripped from several junctions in
                    recent years.
                    [Denver Post, 14 Feb. 2005]

                    In the Danish city of Christiansfeld, a busy intersection known for traffic
                    jams and accidents was given the naked street treatment four years ago.
                    Since then, there have been no fatal accidents.
                    [Australian, 10 Feb. 2005]

                    Best

                    Simon

                    > From: "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...>
                    > Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 16:57:45 +0000
                    > To: <carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com>
                    > Subject: RE: [carfree_cities] Re: Jaywalking is good for cities
                    >

                    >> This is a great discussion. I think there must be other terms in the
                    >> US-english strictly related to auto-centric views, which are not found in
                    >> other languages. I fully agree with the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. Language
                    >> constructs reality. Thanks for the comment!
                    >
                    > and reality constructs language
                    >

                    > ----- ### -----
                    > J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
                    > mailbox@... http://www.carfree.com
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Lloyd Wright
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
                      One small suggestion regarding "naked streets". The person attributed with
                      developing the idea, Hans Monderman, tends to use the term "shared space"
                      rather than "naked streets". I think that "shared space" is probably a
                      slightly more marketable name. I have also heard it called "post traffic
                      calming" and "third-generation traffic calming". However, it seems that the
                      people who have worked hard to make the concept a reality seem to prefer
                      "shared space". There is a Wikipedia entry for shared space, if anyone is
                      interested:

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_space

                      Best,

                      Lloyd