Re: [carfree_cities] Re: [CF] jaywalking is good for cities

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
      >Perhaps something like this would be effective:
      >
      >In many countries, such regulations do not exist, and jaywalking is an
      >unknown concept.
      >
      >To this:
      >
      >In many countries--and [cafree cities] such as Venice--such regulations
      >do not exist, and jaywalking is an unknown concept.

      Let's be factual, objective, and reasonable. But let's not
      pussyfoot around.

      However, I find the Jaywalking article in WP to be balanced
      and thoughtful. And I imagine that there ARE jaywalking
      regulations in force in Venice (these would probably just
      be Italian national traffic laws). There are many fewer
      opportunities to BREAK that law in Venice, but do remember
      that there IS vehicular traffic near the end of the causeway.

      I agree that WP could be an important tool. Let's help make
      it a balanced source of information. Our case is strong
      enough that we don't need to resort to spin, just the facts.

      Regards,

    • Simon Baddeley
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
        I agree. In fact looking at "urban planning" I see Joel's touch already. If
        Wikipedia were anything to go by you'd feel plenty of confidence in the
        momentum of the carfree cities vision - in its varied forms. What I'd hope
        is that a student could be referred to Wikipedia as a useful set of sources
        for roving around and getting informed about carfree options.