Re: [carfree_cities] Re: [CF] jaywalking is good for cities

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
      I'm sure Andrew is right to counsel caution. I wasn't suggesting - or didn't
      mean to suggest - a full frontal intervention but rather a diplomatic
      iterative incremental set of separate contributions in line with the spirit
      of WP.

      Best

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
        >Perhaps something like this would be effective:
        >
        >In many countries, such regulations do not exist, and jaywalking is an
        >unknown concept.
        >
        >To this:
        >
        >In many countries--and [cafree cities] such as Venice--such regulations
        >do not exist, and jaywalking is an unknown concept.

        Let's be factual, objective, and reasonable. But let's not
        pussyfoot around.

        However, I find the Jaywalking article in WP to be balanced
        and thoughtful. And I imagine that there ARE jaywalking
        regulations in force in Venice (these would probably just
        be Italian national traffic laws). There are many fewer
        opportunities to BREAK that law in Venice, but do remember
        that there IS vehicular traffic near the end of the causeway.

        I agree that WP could be an important tool. Let's help make
        it a balanced source of information. Our case is strong
        enough that we don't need to resort to spin, just the facts.

        Regards,

      • Simon Baddeley
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
          I agree. In fact looking at "urban planning" I see Joel's touch already. If
          Wikipedia were anything to go by you'd feel plenty of confidence in the
          momentum of the carfree cities vision - in its varied forms. What I'd hope
          is that a student could be referred to Wikipedia as a useful set of sources
          for roving around and getting informed about carfree options.