Re: [CF] jaywalking is good for cities

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
      ... (additionally) it seems to me that Wikipedia presents us with a great
      opportunity to both learn and teach because via the medium of the ³link² we
      have the means of tracing (learning) the labyrinthine diffusion of
      auto centricity through many areas of thought and practice, and then via
      editing and insertion of new perceptions we have the opportunity of gently
      altering perceptions and increasing understanding of the idea of carfree
      cities.

      If you haven¹t already, do go out and register for Wiki. Few things are
      simpler.

      Best

      Simon

      From: Simon Baddeley <s.j.baddeley@...>
      Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 08:27:57 +0000
      To: Car Free Groups <CarFree@yahoogroups.com>
      Conversation: [CF] jaywalking is good for cities
      Subject: Re: [CF] jaywalking is good for cities

      Dear All

      Perhaps now is a good time to have a go at rewriting the autocentric
      Wikipedia entry on Jaywalking:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaywalking

      Simon

    • Andrew Hitchcock
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
        While I believe it is a good thing to have more carfree representation
        on WP, I urge you to be careful and perhaps not move too fast. The US
        Congress was recently criticized and even banned from WP for a short
        while because of biased editing coming from their addresses. I'd
        recommend treading lightly as to not encourage a backlash against us and
        our ideas. If we upset people with our changes (which could happen if we
        make too many too quickly), it could backfire and cause negative
        feelings toward the movement.

        Perhaps something like this would be effective:

        In many countries, such regulations do not exist, and jaywalking is an
        unknown concept.

        To this:

        In many countries--and [cafree cities] such as Venice--such regulations
        do not exist, and jaywalking is an unknown concept.

        Andrew

        Simon Baddeley wrote:
        > ... (additionally) it seems to me that Wikipedia presents us with a great
        > opportunity to both learn and teach because via the medium of the ³link² we
        > have the means of tracing (learning) the labyrinthine diffusion of
        > auto centricity through many areas of thought and practice, and then via
        > editing and insertion of new perceptions we have the opportunity of gently
        > altering perceptions and increasing understanding of the idea of carfree
        > cities.
        >
        > If you haven¹t already, do go out and register for Wiki. Few things are
        > simpler.
        >
        > Best
        >
        > Simon
        >

        > From: Simon Baddeley <s.j.baddeley@...>
        > Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 08:27:57 +0000
        > To: Car Free Groups <CarFree@yahoogroups.com>
        > Conversation: [CF] jaywalking is good for cities
        > Subject: Re: [CF] jaywalking is good for cities
        >
        > Dear All
        >
        > Perhaps now is a good time to have a go at rewriting the autocentric
        > Wikipedia entry on Jaywalking:
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaywalking
        >
        > Simon

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Simon Baddeley
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
          I'm sure Andrew is right to counsel caution. I wasn't suggesting - or didn't
          mean to suggest - a full frontal intervention but rather a diplomatic
          iterative incremental set of separate contributions in line with the spirit
          of WP.

          Best

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
            >Perhaps something like this would be effective:
            >
            >In many countries, such regulations do not exist, and jaywalking is an
            >unknown concept.
            >
            >To this:
            >
            >In many countries--and [cafree cities] such as Venice--such regulations
            >do not exist, and jaywalking is an unknown concept.

            Let's be factual, objective, and reasonable. But let's not
            pussyfoot around.

            However, I find the Jaywalking article in WP to be balanced
            and thoughtful. And I imagine that there ARE jaywalking
            regulations in force in Venice (these would probably just
            be Italian national traffic laws). There are many fewer
            opportunities to BREAK that law in Venice, but do remember
            that there IS vehicular traffic near the end of the causeway.

            I agree that WP could be an important tool. Let's help make
            it a balanced source of information. Our case is strong
            enough that we don't need to resort to spin, just the facts.

            Regards,

          • Simon Baddeley
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
              I agree. In fact looking at "urban planning" I see Joel's touch already. If
              Wikipedia were anything to go by you'd feel plenty of confidence in the
              momentum of the carfree cities vision - in its varied forms. What I'd hope
              is that a student could be referred to Wikipedia as a useful set of sources
              for roving around and getting informed about carfree options.