Jaywalking is good for cities

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
      Dear All

      Perhaps now is a good time to have a go at editing the autocentric
      Wikipedia entry on Jaywalking ­ and link it to the Carfree Cities entry:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaywalking

      Simon

    • ktsourl
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
        What remains usually unnoticed to natively english speakers is that
        there exist no corresponding to "Jaywalk" term in many (I think almost
        all - with the exception of english) languages of the world, to
        denigrate a free, easygoing and unconcerned pedestrian behaviour. The
        formulation of the language is not a neutral process, but has deep
        implications to the way people interpret the world and create
        "obviousnesses" (consider G. Orwell's newspeak, or Sapir-Whorf
        hypothesis). Does a similar term exist for reckless driving?

        And of course Jaywalking is good for cities, as recent studies have
        proven - after all is the best large scale traffic calming procedure.
        It really helps to create safer environments for both pedestrians and
        car users, because of the slower velocities automobiles are obliged to
        run.

        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Simon Baddeley
        <s.j.baddeley@...> wrote:

        > Dear All
        >
        > Perhaps now is a good time to have a go at editing the autocentric
        > Wikipedia entry on Jaywalking ­ and link it to the Carfree Cities entry:
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaywalking
        >
        > Simon

      • Simon Baddeley
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
          My understanding is that "jaywalking" was also used as a form of courageous
          "dumb insolence" in southern towns as a protest by non-car owning and
          segregated Blacks versus car driving car owning Whites. Does anyone have the
          reference/s? It'd be good to put that in Wikipedia entry on "Jaywalking".

          Best

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
            >What remains usually unnoticed to natively english speakers is that
            >there exist no corresponding to "Jaywalk" term in many (I think almost
            >all - with the exception of english) languages of the world, to
            >denigrate a free, easygoing and unconcerned pedestrian behaviour.

            It's important to be clear that jaywalking implies a violation
            of a traffic law. If there are crosswalks, the law says you
            are obliged to use them. If there are none, then you may
            cross where you please, and you are therefore not jaywalking.

            >The
            >formulation of the language is not a neutral process, but has deep
            >implications to the way people interpret the world and create
            >"obviousnesses" (consider G. Orwell's newspeak, or Sapir-Whorf
            >hypothesis). Does a similar term exist for reckless driving?

            If jaywalking as a lexical concept originates in US English
            (I am not sure), then it implies that the US was the first
            place to criminalize what had until then been normal behavior.
            That would have arisen because the US was the first place
            where there were enough cars for the issue to arise.

            >And of course Jaywalking is good for cities, as recent studies have
            >proven - after all is the best large scale traffic calming procedure.

            Well, the best large-scale traffic calming procedure is
            to put up barriers to cars and keep them out entirely.

            ----- ### -----
          • Carlos F. Pardo SUTP
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
              "What is the origin of the word 'jaywalking'?
              Original source:
              http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutwordorigins/jaywalking

              The complete Oxford English Dictionary traces the word jaywalker back to
              1917 and labels it 'originally US'. There is a cross-reference to the word
              jay, which has a number of slang senses. The relevant one is 'a stupid or
              dull person, a simpleton. Also (as adjective) dull, unsophisticated;
              inferior, poor'. This is labelled 'US colloquial', and there is evidence of
              use from 1900. So persons who stupidly ignored traffic regulations were
              given (in Boston, it seems) this compact name."

              This is a great discussion. I think there must be other terms in the
              US-english strictly related to auto-centric views, which are not found in
              other languages. I fully agree with the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. Language
              constructs reality. Thanks for the comment!

              Best regards,

              Carlos F. Pardo

              My understanding is that "jaywalking" was also used as a form of courageous
              "dumb insolence" in southern towns as a protest by non-car owning and
              segregated Blacks versus car driving car owning Whites. Does anyone have the
              reference/s? It'd be good to put that in Wikipedia entry on "Jaywalking".

              Best

              > From: ktsourl <ktsourl@...>
              > Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 12:11:18 -0000
              > To: <carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: [carfree_cities] Re: Jaywalking is good for cities
              >
              > What remains usually unnoticed to natively english speakers is that
              > there exist no corresponding to "Jaywalk" term in many (I think almost
              > all - with the exception of english) languages of the world, to
              > denigrate a free, easygoing and unconcerned pedestrian behaviour. The
              > formulation of the language is not a neutral process,

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Todd Edelman
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
                carlos.pardo@... wrote:

                "... I fully agree with the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. Language
                > constructs reality..."

                Or does it really, CARlos...? ;-p

                - T

                Todd Edelman
                International Coordinator
                On the Train Towards the Future!

                Green Idea Factory
                Laubova 5
                CZ-13000 Praha 3

                ++420 605 915 970

                edelman@...
                http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

                Green Idea Factory,
                a member of World Carfree Network
              • Carlos F. Pardo SUTP
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
                  Sorry for this quick email regarding my name's meaning... Once I was in a
                  lunch in Thailand, and a guy told me that my name meant Car- loss... no more
                  cars!

                  Carlos F. Pardo

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
                    The idea of segregation suggested here worries me, but then I am keen on the
                    "naked street" as the next best to no cars at all.

                    http://www.conwyctc.fsnet.co.uk/pages/safe_rds.htm

                    Simon

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
                      On Mar 3, 2006, at 4:41 AM, J.H. Crawford wrote:

                      > It's important to be clear that jaywalking implies a violation
                      > of a traffic law. If there are crosswalks, the law says you
                      > are obliged to use them. If there are none, then you may
                      > cross where you please, and you are therefore not jaywalking.
                      In California, you may cross anywhere, crosswalk or not, UNLESS the
                      street has signals at both ends of the block you're on, in which case
                      you must use crosswalks.

                      My street has such signals, but I jaywalk anyway. Every single day.

                      Rick
                      http://www.rickrise.com
                      http://www.newcolonist.com
                      http://www.living-room.org
                    • Doug Salzmann
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
                        > It's important to be clear that jaywalking implies a violation
                        > of a traffic law. If there are crosswalks, the law says you
                        > are obliged to use them. If there are none, then you may
                        > cross where you please, and you are therefore not jaywalking.

                        That's incorrect, at least in most North American jurisdictions.

                        First, it is a common misconception that paint creates crosswalks. It
                        does not.

                        "Crosswalk" is typically defined as an extension of the sidewalk,
                        shoulder, or whatever pedestrian R.O.W. there may be, across an
                        intersection of roadways. The crosswalk thus exists, and the associated
                        rights and obligations of pedestrians, drivers, etc. apply, whether it is
                        marked (painted) or not.

                        Second, mid-block crossings are generally perfectly legal, with the
                        proviso that crossing pedestrians must yield to auto traffic before
                        beginning to cross. The main exception is between two signalized
                        (traffic-light controlled) intersections, where such crossings are
                        usually prohibited.

                        As this should make clear, "jaywalking" is pretty meaningless as a legal
                        term.

                        All of the foregoing is subject to the variable provisions of local
                        ordinances, of course.

                        > >And of course Jaywalking is good for cities, as recent studies have
                        > >proven - after all is the best large scale traffic calming procedure.
                        >
                        > Well, the best large-scale traffic calming procedure is
                        > to put up barriers to cars and keep them out entirely.

                        Yes, indeed. And, THAT is the subject of this list, isn't it?

                        -Doug
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
                          >This is a great discussion. I think there must be other terms in the
                          >US-english strictly related to auto-centric views, which are not found in
                          >other languages. I fully agree with the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. Language
                          >constructs reality. Thanks for the comment!

                          and reality constructs language

                          ----- ### -----
                        • Simon Baddeley
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
                            So can I ask again whether you are comfortable with the Wikipedia entry on
                            "jaywalking"?:

                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaywalking

                            It seems that it might be reasonable to edit in a few sentences at the end
                            of the paragraph headed "Driver cooperation" where reference might be made
                            to mutual cooperation among ALL road users as encouraged by "naked streets"
                            - and indeed give a link to examples of this idea which has behind it the
                            idea of no traffic exceeding 17mph in order to allow negotiation between
                            different road users via eye contact.

                            QUOTE: To disrobe a street, you remove all the conventional methods of
                            controlling vehicles and keeping them separate from pedestrians. Traffic
                            lights, barriers, signs, curbs, and pedestrian crossings are all taken out.
                            The idea behind it is to make the road space less predictable. Instead of
                            drivers being able to rely on road markings and charge along on the
                            assumption that pedestrians are all corralled safely out of the way, they
                            will have to continually interact with people, make decisions about how fast
                            to drive and generally take more responsibility for their actions. London is
                            trying the idea in Exhibition Road, Kensington, in which some of the
                            capital¹s biggest museums are sited. The idea sounds extraordinary, so much
                            so that the British tabloid newspaper the Sun wrote in an editorial: ³Have
                            you ever, in your whole life, heard of anything more stupid? Apparently the
                            idea was conceived in Holland, where everyone is on drugs and drives slowly
                            anyway.² It was indeed pioneered in the Netherlands, but by the soberest of
                            traffic planners, who claim success in significantly reducing accidents.

                            The concept of the naked street was spearheaded by the Netherlands, where
                            traffic lights and markings have been stripped from several junctions in
                            recent years.
                            [Denver Post, 14 Feb. 2005]

                            In the Danish city of Christiansfeld, a busy intersection known for traffic
                            jams and accidents was given the naked street treatment four years ago.
                            Since then, there have been no fatal accidents.
                            [Australian, 10 Feb. 2005]

                            Best

                            Simon

                            > From: "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...>
                            > Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 16:57:45 +0000
                            > To: <carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com>
                            > Subject: RE: [carfree_cities] Re: Jaywalking is good for cities
                            >

                            >> This is a great discussion. I think there must be other terms in the
                            >> US-english strictly related to auto-centric views, which are not found in
                            >> other languages. I fully agree with the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. Language
                            >> constructs reality. Thanks for the comment!
                            >
                            > and reality constructs language
                            >

                            > ----- ### -----
                            > J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
                            > mailbox@... http://www.carfree.com
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Lloyd Wright
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
                              One small suggestion regarding "naked streets". The person attributed with
                              developing the idea, Hans Monderman, tends to use the term "shared space"
                              rather than "naked streets". I think that "shared space" is probably a
                              slightly more marketable name. I have also heard it called "post traffic
                              calming" and "third-generation traffic calming". However, it seems that the
                              people who have worked hard to make the concept a reality seem to prefer
                              "shared space". There is a Wikipedia entry for shared space, if anyone is
                              interested:

                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_space

                              Best,

                              Lloyd