Re: [carfree_cities] Wrapping up the car-lite vs carfree discussion

  • Doug Salzmann
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 22, 2006
      On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, J.H. Crawford wrote:

      > So, you will not hear me advancing the car-lite cause
      > except to note its victories in Carfree Times. What you
      > will continue to hear from me is my vision of much better
      > cities, ones that do not have any cars in them.

      I certainly hope that we shall hear nothing less.

      I personally find car-lite trends and efforts to be pointless, fruitless
      and uninteresting. A city designed and maintained to accommodate cars
      *cannot* adequately house and serve a rich human culture. Not the culture
      I want to live in, anyway.

      Merely having fewer autos in such places is not worth getting out of bed
      for -- much less engaging in sustained effort and political struggle.

      Incrementalism almost never works. I can't see any reason to expect it to
      do so in this case.

      We should be planning and developing actual models of carfree urban living
      -- places for those of us who already know we want to live that way. Only
      the existence of such models will create the possibility of wider change.

      Let's either work toward real solutions... or forget it, stay indoors and
      read.

      -Doug