Discussion lists

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22 9:18 AM
      Hi All,

      Recent discussions on the Carfree_Cities and
      World Carfree Network lists raise the question
      of what and whom these lists are for.

      Carfree_Cities is not formally part of WCN. I own
      and run it as I see fit, without outside consultation
      or direction. Membership is at my discretion, and I
      moderate the list according to what I think is worth
      discussing. WCN needs to decide if it is comfortable
      allowing important discussions to take place on a list
      over which it has no control. If not, then WCN needs
      an in-house equivalent to Carfree_Cities.

      The Carfree_Cities list has been characterized as
      "for theoretical discussions," a label to which I do
      not object. However, the discussion of car-lite vs
      carfree was referred to Carfree_Cities as being
      "theoretical." I regard it as more strategic and
      tactical, and I think it belongs somewhere else.

      The WCN list is a relatively low-traffic list that
      seems mainly to serve the needs of the network itself.
      People seem to be uncomfortable with long discussions
      of almost any kind on that list, and I understand and
      accept that limitation.

      I think, therefore, that WCN needs a new list, one that
      is devoted to a discussion of strategy and tactics to
      advance the carfree agenda. Major discussion threads
      on the new list could be announced on the WCN and
      Carfree_Cities lists. I am not willing to host or
      moderate another list, so any change would require a
      volunteer.

      What do people on these two lists think about these
      matters?

      Regards,

      Joel