Re: [carfree_network] Car-free Cities entry in Wikipedia - may need your help

  • markus-heller@gmx.de
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21, 2006
      Hi all,
      I would prefer to have the entry with just "carfree" (there is a german page just "autofrei"), then more pages about details like
      - carfree movement
      - carfree cities* (here I would like to have more details about the urban differences to the conventional city design, I mean categories and definitions like what - for example - Randy wrote about Fes)
      - carfree places (detailed list of ...)
      - carfree life style in general (if not described in the main "carfree" page or the "movement" page)
      - car-lite (to me it`s only a small step and no satisfying solution, Randy explained all about except one point: you cannot do good marketing for new housing projects with that car-lite concept: carfree households don`t know why to move in a car-lite quarter, because there are still cars, and car-owners don`t find enough parking places, at the end nobody is happy)

      another point: Is it possible to convince wikipedia chiefs (or whoever) to write always "carfree" instead of "car-free" ? at the moment I see different wordings Carfree_Cities / Car-free_zone / Car-free_movement / List_of_carfree_places ... having that in one word looks better to me

      Markus
      www.autofrei-wohnen.de

      *In the Wikipedia I read:
      "... The goal of the Carfree Cities movement series ..." - this sounds to me like a mixture of "carfree movement" and "TCFC series" - or is it only my bad english ??
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 21, 2006
        Markus Heller suggested (with minor edits by me):

        >I would prefer to have the entry with just "carfree" (there is a
        >german page just "autofrei"), then more pages about details like:

        >- carfree movement
        >- carfree cities
        >- carfree places (detailed list)
        >- carfree life
        >- carfree movement
        >- car-lite

        This sounds like a good scheme to me. It would eventually
        have pages for carfree rural life, public transport for
        carfree cities, etc., etc.

        The car-lite page really must be linked to:

        Smart Growth
        Traditional Neighborhood Development
        Transit-Oriented Development
        New Urbanism
        and probably others

        The only problem I see is that "carfree" is an adjective
        as it is normally used. But it can also be a state of being,
        in which case I think it's admissible as a head entry for
        Wikipedia. The page should probably begin with a definition
        of the word.

        Regards,

        ----- ### -----
      • Simon Baddeley
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 21, 2006
          Hullo

          A slight shift of emphasis here.

          If Carfree is to thrive on Wikipedia then it should be placing hyperlinks
          throughout Wikipedia on such pages as "Detroit" in which for instance I have
          inserted the "Fabulous Ruins of Old Detroit". Other candidates for
          x-reference must surely be "automobiles".

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_transit
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Congestion_Charge
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Built_Environment
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Rogers

          And possibly:

          http://walksquawk.blogs.com/about_the_walking_project/

          Or a messy site like:

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Utility_cycling

          I am not so much suggesting links from Carfree (though' that's important)
          but
          their insertion directing readers TO Carfree. This could be a continuous
          process of infiltration linking the Carfree vision to as many aspects of the
          universe of Wikipedia as we can imagine.

          Of course I would imagine there will be lots of links such as one to John
          Adams' OECD report on "The Social Implications of Hypermobility"

          Best

          Simon