RE: [carfree_network] Infrastructure vs Economics...citizens, movement

  • Carlos F. Pardo SUTP
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2006
      I think Mockus's ideas were to make the public more active in policy
      decisions. It's a nice discussion, especially when it is told by Mockus
      himself. It's a pedagogical approach at policy dialogue, rather than
      imposition of different points of view (good or bad). He accomplished a lot
      in his first term (by means of citizen culture) and all this was wonderfully
      complemented by Peñalosa after this (it was during this time that BRT,
      cycleways and urban renovation took place). Luckily, Mockus was mayor again
      and took Peñalosa's transformation into account, and that is Bogotá today.

      There's some very good books on this, some of which are only available in
      Spanish. I think actually Peñalosa was writing something about his term as a
      mayor, but I haven't heard of it being published.

      Best regards,

      Carlos F. Pardo
      Ps: Mockus's terms as mayor were 1995-1997, 2001-2003. In between
      (1998-2000) was Peñalosa and his famous urban transformation.