Mobility: Goal is not ease of movement, but access...

  • On the Train Towards the Future!
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2006
      The following is from "Changing Directions", the report of the (British) Independent Commission
      on Transport published in 1974. (I am forwarding this from the Sustran listserve)

      11.6 In particular, a clear understanding is needed of the concept of
      mobility. The real goal is not ease of movement, but access to people
      and facilities. Movement is desirable only to the extent that access
      requires it. People will seek,of course, to improve their power of
      access within the situation in which they find themselves. In present
      conditions they evidently choose to acquire and use more and more
      transport . This fact, sometimes presented as proof of "society's
      choice", is people's response to the options offered them. They do not
      control the options; nor can they, as individuals, affect the collective
      impact of their individual choices. The Commission cannot accept the
      thesis that the sum of people's individual choices necessarily equals
      what they really want.

      - T

      Todd Edelman
      International Coordinator