Sweden aims for oil-free economy

  • On the Train Towards the Future!
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2006
      "SWEDEN AIMS FOR OIL-FREE ECONOMY

      Sweden says it aims to completely wean itself off oil within 15 years - without building new nuclear plants.

      The attempt is being planned by a committee of industrialists, academics, CAR MANUFACTURERS, farmers and others..."

      Still, when Sweden says something like this, it means something. But if someone from Sweden or with some knowledge about the reality of the situation (e.g. Are they planning more mobility, but less fuel...the same fuel...) could give a counterpoint it would be great. They have been running biogas buses since 1997...

      Sweden is relatively unpopulated and does have lots of forests.... can they turn the whole place into an energy farm? Seems problematic...

      ... but it seems kind of amazing for them to cut out oil for military vehicles and airplanes! What about the many ferries that sail through the North and Baltic Seas? Is it possible?

      And will they let oil-powered transport enter the country? What if these cars etc run out of petrol? Certainly no airplane hijackers will go to Stockholm to refuel!

      This is really quite interesting...

      I doubt they also mean plastics, fertilizers, etc....

      More from Sweden:
      Biogas train: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4112926.stm
      Carfree islands: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_G%C3%B6teborg_Archipelago
      Bike locker: http://www.eriksrailnews.com/stuff/bikegarage.gif

      - T

      Todd Edelman
      International Coordinator
      On the Train Towards the Future!

      Green Idea Factory
      Laubova 5
      CZ-13000 Praha 3

      ++420 605 915 970

      edelman@...
      http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

      Green Idea Factory,
      a member of World Carfree Network
    • Ian Fiddies
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 8, 2006
        Hi

        There is one minister who is pushing this move away from oil. A very good
        thing too, but I don't advise holding your breath while it happens. On the
        ground in Sweden the policy is focusing on home heating systems. Those with
        oil fired heating can get a grant to change. I've not heard anything about
        transport other than some rail investments.

        I've forwarded Todd's email to Mona Sahlin Sweden's Community Building
        Minister. I'll let you know how she answers.

        Ian Fiddies