A couple of interesting links.

  • mauk_mcamuk
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2006
      I was prowling about as I am wont to do and stumbled across a couple
      of fascinating links:

      First:

      http://www.accelerationwatch.com/articles/undergroundhighwaysystems.ht
      ml

      These guys advocate putting all the roads underground. It seems to
      me that with only a bit of prodding, such a model could be tuned to
      fit the Carfree City model to a pretty close degree.

      Fascinating stuff, and their predictions of a confluence of
      tunneling, auto-roads, and hydrogen-powered vehicles has some
      considerable merit. This sort of a confluence may be the best way to
      convert existing large cities to the benefits of Carfree living,
      maybe as a hybrid solution of sorts.

      The second, and I feel far more compelling, link is below:

      http://www.brookings.edu/metro/speeches/20051117_liu.pdf

      This is a paper from the Brookings Institute (of all places)
      extolling the many virtues of high density, high quality, urban
      living. The points made about productivity and desirability are HUGE
      for the prospects of a Carfree City actualy getting built. The
      demographic information is even more compelling, with the most
      important facts on the second to last slide.

      The time to press for Carfree City living, based on hard, cold facts
      that it is BETTER than what we do now, is now, folks.

      I think I'm gonna write my Congress-critters again. :D