Re: [carfree_cities] re: "America is addicted to oil"

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2006
      http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2006/transportation.html

      > I took a look at link you provided and saw what there was for
      > the US DOT, which is not much. Any ways there is practically
      > nothing decent for the FTA or Amtrak.

      =v= $21 billion over one year for air travel depicted as peachy.
      $283.9 billion over six years for highways, depicted as lovely.
      $29 billion over thirty-five years for Amtrak, depicted as a
      horrible, horrible thing that must be destroyed.
      <_Jym_>
    • Andrew Dawson
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2006
        So Uncle Sam is really cheap (my government is just as cheap too), no wonder
        we've gone from being in the 1st to 4th world transportation wise here in
        North America.

        Till later, Andrew

        >From: Jym Dyer <jym@...>
        >To: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [carfree_cities] re: "America is addicted to oil"
        >Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 11:47:26 -0800
        >
        >http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2006/transportation.html
        >
        > > I took a look at link you provided and saw what there was for
        > > the US DOT, which is not much. Any ways there is practically
        > > nothing decent for the FTA or Amtrak.
        >
        >=v= $21 billion over one year for air travel depicted as peachy.
        >$283.9 billion over six years for highways, depicted as lovely.
        >$29 billion over thirty-five years for Amtrak, depicted as a
        >horrible, horrible thing that must be destroyed.
        > <_Jym_>
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mike Neuman
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7, 2006
          The U.S. is not a cheapskate when it comes to funding highway and
          airport developments. About the only two areas of U.S. investment
          larger than highways and airports are U.S. military expeditures and
          2006's tax breaks for the rich!

          --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Dawson"
          <m82a1_dawson@...> wrote:

          > So Uncle Sam is really cheap (my government is just as cheap too),
          no wonder
          > we've gone from being in the 1st to 4th world transportation wise
          here in
          > North America.
          >
          > Till later, Andrew
          >
          > >From: Jym Dyer <jym@...>
          > >To: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: Re: [carfree_cities] re: "America is addicted to oil"
          > >Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 11:47:26 -0800
          > >
          > >http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2006/transportation.html
          > >
          > > > I took a look at link you provided and saw what there was for
          > > > the US DOT, which is not much. Any ways there is practically
          > > > nothing decent for the FTA or Amtrak.
          > >
          > >=v= $21 billion over one year for air travel depicted as peachy.
          > >$283.9 billion over six years for highways, depicted as lovely.
          > >$29 billion over thirty-five years for Amtrak, depicted as a
          > >horrible, horrible thing that must be destroyed.
          > > <_Jym_>
          > >

          > >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Greg Steele
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2006
            The source of Bush's comment, I believe, comes from Set America Free
            (http://www.setamericafree.org/). I encountered this group last
            summer. At first glance they seem to be saying the right things,
            however, their "solution" is that new technology will permit happy
            motoring into the future. You can read about my encounter at
            http://walkbike.org/_wsn/page2.html - see heading "Checkmate!" This
            group has been courting the Republican Party, so it follows that their
            ideas made there way into the President's speech.

            My apologies for not being active in this group as of late, or
            updating my blog – walkbike, but I am now employed by Amtrak. In the
            spirit of doing more with less I have been taking work home and
            focusing on my job. My thanks to everyone on this group for promoting
            rail in the US.