Re: [carfree_cities] re: "America is addicted to oil"

  • Andrew Dawson
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4 10:53 AM
      I took a look at link you provided and saw what there was for the US DOT,
      which is not much. Any ways there is practically nothing decent for the FTA
      or Amtrak. Till later, Andrew

      http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2006/transportation.html

    • Jym Dyer
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4 11:47 AM
        http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2006/transportation.html

        > I took a look at link you provided and saw what there was for
        > the US DOT, which is not much. Any ways there is practically
        > nothing decent for the FTA or Amtrak.

        =v= $21 billion over one year for air travel depicted as peachy.
        $283.9 billion over six years for highways, depicted as lovely.
        $29 billion over thirty-five years for Amtrak, depicted as a
        horrible, horrible thing that must be destroyed.
        <_Jym_>
      • Andrew Dawson
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4 12:46 PM
          So Uncle Sam is really cheap (my government is just as cheap too), no wonder
          we've gone from being in the 1st to 4th world transportation wise here in
          North America.

          Till later, Andrew

          >From: Jym Dyer <jym@...>
          >To: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [carfree_cities] re: "America is addicted to oil"
          >Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 11:47:26 -0800
          >
          >http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2006/transportation.html
          >
          > > I took a look at link you provided and saw what there was for
          > > the US DOT, which is not much. Any ways there is practically
          > > nothing decent for the FTA or Amtrak.
          >
          >=v= $21 billion over one year for air travel depicted as peachy.
          >$283.9 billion over six years for highways, depicted as lovely.
          >$29 billion over thirty-five years for Amtrak, depicted as a
          >horrible, horrible thing that must be destroyed.
          > <_Jym_>
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Mike Neuman
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 7 11:56 AM
            The U.S. is not a cheapskate when it comes to funding highway and
            airport developments. About the only two areas of U.S. investment
            larger than highways and airports are U.S. military expeditures and
            2006's tax breaks for the rich!

            --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Dawson"
            <m82a1_dawson@...> wrote:

            > So Uncle Sam is really cheap (my government is just as cheap too),
            no wonder
            > we've gone from being in the 1st to 4th world transportation wise
            here in
            > North America.
            >
            > Till later, Andrew
            >
            > >From: Jym Dyer <jym@...>
            > >To: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
            > >Subject: Re: [carfree_cities] re: "America is addicted to oil"
            > >Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 11:47:26 -0800
            > >
            > >http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2006/transportation.html
            > >
            > > > I took a look at link you provided and saw what there was for
            > > > the US DOT, which is not much. Any ways there is practically
            > > > nothing decent for the FTA or Amtrak.
            > >
            > >=v= $21 billion over one year for air travel depicted as peachy.
            > >$283.9 billion over six years for highways, depicted as lovely.
            > >$29 billion over thirty-five years for Amtrak, depicted as a
            > >horrible, horrible thing that must be destroyed.
            > > <_Jym_>
            > >

            > >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Greg Steele
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 8 7:14 AM
              The source of Bush's comment, I believe, comes from Set America Free
              (http://www.setamericafree.org/). I encountered this group last
              summer. At first glance they seem to be saying the right things,
              however, their "solution" is that new technology will permit happy
              motoring into the future. You can read about my encounter at
              http://walkbike.org/_wsn/page2.html - see heading "Checkmate!" This
              group has been courting the Republican Party, so it follows that their
              ideas made there way into the President's speech.

              My apologies for not being active in this group as of late, or
              updating my blog – walkbike, but I am now employed by Amtrak. In the
              spirit of doing more with less I have been taking work home and
              focusing on my job. My thanks to everyone on this group for promoting
              rail in the US.