Review of ground rules

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2006
      Hi All,

      I've just had a couple of nasty go-rounds with
      people whose memberships I rejected. I have,
      as a result, updated the material that people
      joining the list will see. I have pasted a copy
      of the revised text below.

      In the main, I'm pleased with how this group is
      going, but I would ask all members to review the
      text below.

      Thanks & regards,

      J.H. Crawford

      Solving the problem of the urban automobile,
      one city at a time. This group discusses ways
      to advance the adoption of carfree districts and
      cities. The discussion is mainly theoretical.

      A high standard of netiquette is expected; do not
      engage in name-calling or personal attacks.

      Do not post on local issues unless they are germane
      to the broader discussion.

      Do not post messages that are simply to agree with
      what someone else has posted; all posts should
      advance the discussion.

      Do not post more than once a day unless there is
      some pressing reason. (The moderators may violate
      this rule with caution.)

      Be ready to take discussions private, off list.

      PLEASE TRIM OFF IRRELEVANT SECTIONS OF POSTS TO
      WHICH YOU ARE REPLYING.

      The list owner is very busy and will simply cancel,
      without warning, the membership of any member whose
      posts are disruptive to the purpose of the group.
      Reasonable people will not fall afoul of this provision.

      Initial posts will be moderated and rejected if they
      do not maintain the standards of the group.

      Please do NOT post an introductory message when you join;
      there are now 500 on this list and introductory messages
      make for too much traffic.